Starter motor urgently needed

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Starter motor urgently needed

Post by Ian Grace »

Does anyone have a spare starter motor? James Wheeler is desperate for on - his has just burnt out on his OHC saloon.
Toby

Re: Starter motor urgently needed

Post by Toby »

Is this the same as sv? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Toby

Post by Toby »

PS! The dynamo bloke does off the shelf exchanges if he wants to go down the route of fast spinning!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby,

Yes it is the same - got one?
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Who is the dynamo man Toby , I am not sure but I may need a starter motor replacement. It is turning engine over but only just. I have a new battery, and have cleaned the starter button terminals and have spun and trued the motor and rebedded the brushes. Hoping to have a borrowed motor shortly to see if that works.Mike.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Mike, I believe that starters get mediocre quite quickly and then go on for a long time before not working! Apparently. :shock:
I have used Bernard Bryant and more recently the dynamo bloke for me is classic and vintage dynamos ltd, 01623 747666.
Has off the shelf exchanges including dynamos converted to include voltage control technology, I don't think I'd ever fit an unreconditioned unit again as they're relatively inexpensive exchanged.
Ian, I have a spare but would need to try it out as my spares are rather tatty and untried. Will email you.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Before exchanging a stater motor measure the voltage drop between the battery negative terminal and the body of the starter motor whilst operating the starter. there should be almost zero volts. The solution is to wire the negative battery terminal directly to a starter mounting bolt with heavy duty (Battery) cable. It works, I have done it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Before exchanging a stater motor measure the voltage drop between the battery negative terminal and the body of the starter motor whilst operating the starter. there should be almost zero volts. The solution is to wire the negative battery terminal directly to a starter mounting bolt with heavy duty (Battery) cable. It works, I have done it.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I think James needs one quickly, which is why the rebuild option probably won't work for him. But he would have a broken one to exchange!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

http://classicandvintagedynamos.com/motors.html
That's the homepage for the dynamo/starter man... he has them literally on the shelf... and can sort delivery in a few days ...!!!
As sgtated, not too expensive either, depending on your view of finances.....
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Ronald, I'll pass that on.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Thanks Toby, I rang the firm you mentioned who has them on the shelf. He quoted me £100 plus vat exchange. I spoke to a guy called Jim. Very helpful I think they could help with anything dynamo or starter very quickly. I was very interested to learn what they do for other makes of vehicle. I shall try re-routing the battery earth via a starter mounting bolt before I go any further.Thanks for that tip Simon. Regards all Mike.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike,

My first Minor was a SV 2-seater and the starter was never man enough to start the engine, so I always used the 'Armstrong' starter. Later in life I bought a fabric saloon that was the same. That is when I learned that earthing the engine/starter is critical - particularly on 6V cars, where even a small voltage drop can be significant. I've had several Minors that had earthing straps added from the engine to the chassis, and they all started fine. With 6 volts, the current for the same power is double with respect to a 12 volt car (P=IV, so halve the V and you have to double the I), so for a given rersistance, the voltage drop is doubled. The same goes for all your lamps where any stray resistance in your lighting circuits can really dim the lamps, which is why I always add an earth return to all my lamps and don't rely on the electrons finding their way back through painted wings, and into the chassis through wing piping, etc.

Something to remember when rebuilding - don't paint any surface that is in the path to the chassis and is therefore the earth return.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

For what it is worth I have never had any trouble with my starter motor on my 1932 sv. I goes first time every time - however my lights are still not good. I went to the trouble of fitting Halogen (spelling?) 6v bulbs and it has not made a scrap of difference. I will have a look at where my earth wires are because I am sure they are attached to painted nuts and bolts to painted shells. Passed MOT this morning (7.30am!!!) 1684 miles since last MOTor 50 miles per day. Highlander.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Its been suggested that it's all in the reflectors! The shinier they are the more light gets reflected out into the road, also for modern bulbs a different curvature of reflector is required???! :?