Removing Fly Wheel

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

D Johnson

Removing Fly Wheel

Post by D Johnson »

Hi All

I am trying to remove the flywheel from a OVH cam minor a was wondering if there is a good way to do it.

The fly wheel has come lose on the crank so I want to remove it to check for damage. I think the crank is the type with a parallel shaft not a taper. I have tried loosening off the 4 bolts then using the two tapped holes to push the flywheel sleeve off but it would only move a small amount. I am assuming the flywheel has worn the crank so as I pull it back it tightens up on the unworn part of the crank.

Has any one go any suggestions.

Thanks

David Johnson
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Removing Fly Wheel

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello David,

I have not had experience with these early parallel cranks/flywheel flanges, but I do know that Colin Lee had some issues with his last year - he had to replace the flange which split. I think he may have ended up by replacing the crank with a tapered one. His contact details are in the Members' List in the Members' Area of the website - do you have the username and password to access? if not, e-mail me.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

But the obvious thing here it that you have not undone the nut on the end of the crankshaft.

Do the four nuts that you have undone back up - these hold the flywheel to the rear main bearing carrier and as the flywheel is behind this all undoing the nuts at this stage do is to make the flywheel loose on the carrier and it becomes more difficult to remove and you could damage the carrier or buckle it.

Remove the clutch spigot bearing - behind this is a large nut on the end of the flywheel. This is normally locked off with a bar running though the castleated section ofthe nut and crank.

Remove the bar, loosen the nut but don't take it right off. (you have to gradually loosen this as you pull the flywheel off, take it 1/8 inch at a time)

Now try and pull the flywheel back - it if is loose on the crank then it might come easily but it can be a difficult job without the proper puller particularly on the non-tapered cranks. Be very careful not to damage the thread on the crank.

I use a 25mm square bar that runs across the face of the flywheel and bolts into the 5/16 BSF thread on the rim. I then have a 12mm HT bolt in the centre and do this up against a thick metal washer I made to go on the crank nut to protect it from damage. Doing up the 12mm HT bolt will then pul the flywheel off - well thats the hope, it has taken my up to four days to get an early engine part!

Hope this helps

Jeremy
D Johnson

Post by D Johnson »

Thanks all

I did have the nut undone i will try making a puller and see what happens

Thanks

David