Rear spring lockable washer

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

Rear spring lockable washer

Post by halbe »

Hello,

Does anyone know of a supplier for this washer?
It's for the rear spring front mounting pin.

Regards,
Halbe
Simon

Re: Rear spring lockable washer

Post by Simon »

Halbe,
Have you tried the MG people (Sports & Vintage at Shrewsbury) as the M Types have the same spring mounting. If you cannot get any you could use an internally serrated lock washer or even Locktight or similar.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Simon,

Yes I have tried S&V but they don't stock this item.
Using an internally serrated lock washer together with Locktight is of coarse an excellent alternative .
I'll also put a post on the MMM forum, lets see what they know.

Regards,
Halbe
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Halbe

Maybe worth looking at TAB WASHERS

I have found a website which does BSF sizes. Try http://www.impressltd.co.uk/services and then scroll down the page and click on TAB WASHERS. Towards the bottom of the page are some BSF sizes.

You may find other sources searching under Tab Washers , or Locking Tab Washers.

Good Luck.

[ By the way I do agree that they were on early Minors , mine have them.]

Tony G
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I needed a new locking washer for the bottom bolt on the dynamo recently, i made one, simply get a piece of steel and drill a hole in it, then file it to the size where you need it........
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

I am certain that these washers are no longer available. I use heavy-duty spring washers, but regardless, I have never seen an instance of these pins unwinding themselves. According to the Manual, the grease nipples on these pins should be attended to at intervals of 250 miles, so you should be able to check their tightness regularly when you grease them!

But then, your lockwashers (or at least one of them) look fit for one more use anyway!

The only problem I have had in this area (apart from worn pins) is the threads going in the chassis castings.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello,

I think I'm going to make some lockable washers myself as Ronald says it´s rather easy.........
The thread going in the chassis is fine and the pins are new.

I´ll keep the original washer for reference should I need it later :wink:

Regards,
Halbe
cammy

Post by cammy »

Ian, When you had the problem with the threads what did you do........ Did you re tap them?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

When I got the Bed-Pan, the threads were stripped in the chassis castings. So the previous owner had made up a couple of steel blocks with threaded holes which presumably he was intending to weld onto the inside of the catings, but that would have needed special longer pins. I ended up finding a better pair of castings, drilling out the rivets on the old ones and bolting the replacements on. I then used heavy duty spring washers under the hex heads of the pins.

I suppose you could de-rivet the castings and have them Helicoiled if you couldn't find replacements. The casting was unchanged on all SWB Minors. I say SWB because the angle on the LWB chassis will be different becuase of the shallower angle between the chassis rails.
cammy

Post by cammy »

Thanks Ian, Where there's a will ther's a way.