MoT lighting question

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

MoT lighting question

Post by Ian Grace »

I am getting close to shipping the 2-seater to the UK for the summer rally and it will need an MoT as soon as it clears customs.

It has the original TF 201 lamp on the number plate on the right side of thwe tail and I am planning to fit a pair of Wilcot rear/number plate lamps under the tail. These are about 2" in diameter are circular, and have reflectors moulded into the rear faces, so they double as lamps and reflectors. I have no brake or indicator lights.

My question is - will these three lamps be sufficient to pass the MoT lighting and refelctor requirements? The idea is to mount them on simple brackets under the wooden tail, so I don't have to drill the wings or the body in any way. So I know where to fit them, what are the regulations on maximum distance from the edge of the car, lamp height, etc?

All help much appreciated! :)
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Try this site

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/1-1.htm

Seems to cover most of the regulations. I have an SVA Manual which has the current spacings in it if you need them let me know

Cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Jeremy,

Very useful - many thanks. There is no mention of reflectors constituting the rear surface of the tail lights not counting, so I should be OK on that count.

As for rear light positioning, the MoT seems only to be concerned with them being symmetrically placed, and states "Note: The precise position of obligatory side and rear lamps is not part of the inspection".

What does the SVA manual state as position limits, as mine are going to be a good bit inboard if I mount them under the tail, and also quite low.

Incidentally, what is the SVA manual?!

I got my rear wings back from the paint shop today - these are the original wings which were quite tatty and I had had quite a bit of welding done on them. However, they are like deep black mirrors now - I have never seen such an incredible finish. I don't know how many clear coats have been put on, but they look stunning. Since both front wings are new, they should be incredible - I pick them up next week. Anyway, there is no way I am going to drill the rears to fit lamps or reflectors!
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Ian,
The Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) is for kit cars and imports where the type approval cannot be proved. Whilst not totally applicable to "our" cars the manual does contain all the current requirements for cars in the EU, if you like its a kind of "super" MOT

You are after section 9 - page 103. There is a table on page 108 that gives all the positioning details. The minimum height and the visability angles may be the difficult areas if you mount the lights under the tail.

http://www.rootpeg.net/SVAMarch2004.pdf

Cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Jeremy,

That is great info - many thanks. Have printed the table on page 108 and I'll take it to the MoT station with me just in case!