Float on air seats for a '34 Minor saloon

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Float on air seats for a '34 Minor saloon

Post by Ian Grace »

I have had an enquiry from the owner of a '34 Minor saloon regarding float on air front seat restoration. His seats have perished. He has been quoted nearly £600.00 for replacements from Bryan Purves Ltd. Does anyone know of any other suppliers who would be more reasonable? Austin Rubies were so fitted, and I cannot believe their owners would be prepared to pay this sort of price...
Toby

Re: Float on air seats for a '34 Minor saloon

Post by Toby »

I didn't think any would have survived! I was lead to believe by my dad that many old cars in the '60s suffered from perished seat interiors that were replaced with more robust methods of springing!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just Googled Moseley and fount this:

http://www.austinsevenownersclub.com/fo ... .php?t=515

Then went to the board index - looks a lot like this site. More members, less posts - must be newer I guess.

Edited to add:

Nope - started in 2005:

http://www.austinsevenownersclub.com/fo ... ?f=2&t=464
Orstin

Post by Orstin »

The Brian Purves 'float on air' inserts are very good - As some of you might guess, I have some knowledge here. I have replaced the drivers seat insert in my Cabriolet with one and excellent it is. Big trick is not to inflate them too much. Sometimes, just sometimes, Austin 7 owners do put their hands in their pockets... :lol:
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

I haven't actually tried this, but it occurs to me that bubble-wrap might work quite well, at least as a 'get you home', or until you have a spare £600. Just a thought!

Ian
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

It'd funny to try it, just imagoine driving along, suddenly you go over a bump and BANG BANG BANG BANG,...... and all of a sudden you're sat on the floor boards....LOL..... that would be so funny......!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Maybe an airbed could be adapted? :lol:
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

There was some discussion about air seats in the Riley club some time ago and a firm from the Southampton area came up with some prices. I believe some Riley members purchased them but I cannot find any reference to them among my records. I have however found a firm in Totton Hants which may have been them.They show a cushion on their site. HCL Tel.. 023 8087 1188. email.sales@hovercraftconsultants.co.uk. Hope this helps. Mike
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have been reading with interest the question of air cushions for morris minors and the possible cost. In my view, a seat is a seat and as long as it LOOKS original I would not bother what is inside. What is wrong with firm modern foam? I had the dicky seat of a Humber 8.18 done with hard foam and it all looked original . I am now trying to find the foram about cut-outs and fibre couplings - I have looked into my box and found things of interest but have lost who wanted them!!!! Too many single malts!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Talking of single malts, many thanks for the fascinating press cuttings which arrived safely!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Sadly it is peoples misconseption that 'a seat is a seat'........ as a traditional upholsterer, i can reliably inform you that there is no comparison with the way an old car seat feels when it's filled with foam, or when done correctly as per the original, be that a spring unit, or an airbag....... foam will feel 'dead', and won't be anywhere near as comfortable for a longer journey, true, not many people drive too far in the oldies these days, but to not sit on springs or air bags, is losing part of the character of the car, you just aswell throw an A series engine under the bonnet, to most people an engine is an engine.........LOL!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

[Ronald], Yes you are right. The dicky seat in my small Humber was never used but looked right. As a professional can you find air seats today? If not, what would you use? My two seater is sprung (bench) and is very comfortable. Are you the son of 'you know who?' Highlander.
Orstin

Post by Orstin »

A bit more about the Moseley float on air. The most important part of their construction was that they were made in two parts. An outer section that went up each side and across the front, supporting the thighs and under the knees. The centre section was the bit you actually 'sat' on. The point about this is that the two sections were inflated independently - the outer section being harder than the inner. This means you don't slide off the thing as you go round a corner. The problem with other solutions suggested is that this is not achieved. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that foam is not the best choice. I have foam inserts in another Austin of mine and you sit 'on top' of the seat rather than 'in it' - and they aren't the most comfortable seats for a long journey...
Toby

Post by Toby »

way off topic, but, Highlander i believe it's Halbe who wanted the info on regulators, probably under technical?!!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ah, no! you'll find it under general discussion!!! :?