Disturbing news

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Disturbing news

Post by Ian Grace »

I received some disturbing news from a Register member this morning:

"I had a couple of inquiries for spares from VMR members. I sent the bits off saying if they worked we could agree a price, if not then send them back. That is the last I heard from either! All the contacts since then I have declined to help. It is a sad reflection on the old car fraternity."

Needless to say, if anyone out there recognizes the situation, would they kindly make amends forthwith? This sort of thing will make things more difficult for all of us in our future spares dealings.
Highlander

Re: Disturbing news

Post by Highlander »

I am very sad and dismayed to read the 'disturbing news'. Nothing could be further from the truth when I was looking for parts and advice for my back axle and rear hubs. You, yourself provided the diff via Toby on ' if it works and is OK pay later and the same with the hubs via Tony Gamble. Are these so called VMR members known to us? If they are I would publish and be dammed. Highlander.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Nothing new, happened to me years ago. There are always a few.Fortunately the majority are honest. Mike.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

I agree with Alister..... publish their names and strike them off the Register....we do not need this form of pond life in the vintage movement.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ian,

In the words of Highlander, publish and be dammed , people who knowingly don't pay what they owe can not be part of this register.

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Totally agree with the sentiment but not the proposed action. Theft is a crime. I would feel very uncomfortable 'damming' anyone without knowing all of the facts.
mike houston

Post by mike houston »

I was very sorry to read this. The over-riding impression of the club that I have gained since joining was that of likeminded gentlemanly enthusiasts. I agree with all the views expressed, but like Chris would wish to know all the facts just in case misunderstandings may have crept in.
Disappointing nevertheless,
Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Chris and all, I would not publicize names. I have invited the plaintiff (!) to provide names only if he wants, but have not had a reply so far. If I get names, then I'd hear their side of the story before taking any action.

Hopefully these two are the exception that proves the rule - that we are an honest, upstanding bunch!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Sadly this sort of thing happens on every forum/club i'm in, some people these days don't seem interested in honesty, all they're on here and other forums for is for themselves, not the good of the greater community..... I am confident that 99% of us are genuine people who would be only too willing to help other members if the needs arose, some however don;'t think like that, sad, but it's part of the world we now live in.....

Hopefully the perportrator will read these comments and be so ashamed that they pay up.... or return the parts!!

There is always the option that something bad may have happened to the person in question, or a member of their family and they simply have their mind full with other things, sometimes we forget that Vintage Minors is only a small part of most peoples lives........
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Nice words, Ronald.

I heard back from the plaintiff - doesn't want to name names, putting it down to experience, which is fine by me.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

We live in a sad world. nI have owned, what we call today vintage vehicles, for over 52 years and have never once been let down by anyone. 50 years ago if anyone was short of anything and you had a spare you swapped it - money seldom changed hands. Then it was 100 per cent face to face and a handshake - today with modern comunication it is different. I still cannot believe what I have heard. Off Scottish Dancing. Highlander.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

The answer maybe to ban them from renewal next year. Mike.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike - I could do but I don't know who they are.
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Alas - this sort of thing DOES happen. HOWEVER, on the other side of the coin, there are the good and generous majority of our members.
A case in point is Steve Morris, from Wales, who answered my plea for a camshaft for my Minor, sent it and REFUSED to let me pay for either the item or postage. This is the true VMR member, who I am sure, stands for the majority. ( Of course, his surname says it all!)
Colin. [/b]
Toby

Post by Toby »

This is sad to hear but maybe a mention of the case without names in the mag might shame the perpetrators into making some amend? Perhaps they havn't got round to it yet but then if they've been reminded then there's no excuse but it would be nice to know that their supply of spares from vmr members was curtailed until they paid! We've lost stock at Beaulieu, in one case it was an old cigarette lighter from a box of them, (we had a bet with an associate that we could manage to sell them and the fact that one was stolen made them more than saleable! But that's another story!) more disturbingly we had £150.00 worth of mascot go whilst the stall was open! I was very upset that fellow enthusiasts at such a friendly show could stoop so low. :(
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear