Oil filtration

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

Oil filtration

Post by Sam Christie »

Has anyone any thoughts about the use of modern oil filters with OHC Minor and M-type engines ? I have seen several different filter set ups and I would be very interested to hear any views on the subject or see pictures of other options.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Sam Christie on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toby

Re: Oil filtration

Post by Toby »

This looks good, I think Trevor has done something on his sidevalve and I'd like to do something with mine, not sure about starvation though? :shock: Anyone got any thoughts?... :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

I have run with the filter now for two years on my SV. I was concerned about possible starvation as I had to filter the suction side but have had no trouble so far. ( I don't like making those sort of comments)!!
The only down side is the time it takes to draw oil thro after changing the filter. 8) :idea:Image
Last edited by Trevor Wilkinson on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Is it possible that the filter shown in the bottom picture apart from being the neatest (in my eyes) is the least likely to cause any starvation problems since the filter will tend to retain some oil when the engine stops and a new filter can be filled up with oil on replacement ?
halbe

Post by halbe »

I agree, the bottom one is in my eyes the best looking solution.
Isn't that available from vintage MG parts?
Just a thought, is there no way to use the original filter house and adept it to use a modern cartridge :?:
This is what we did with the Autoclean filter on the Aston and also the Bugatti people do this, i think they use a BMW filter :shock:

Halbe

By the way I really like the Blue/black combination on your MGM, could you tell me the colour numbers for the paint and the leathercloth?
Toby

Post by Toby »

There's also a thing called the Hi De Hi filter for motorcycles, it's an in line device but I don't know how the floe eould be.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Has anyone any long term experience of a modern oil filter on Minor engine and noticed any difference ?

Here as an example of an adaptpor which fits directly to the pump.Image

And here it is in the car.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Very neat indeed.....!!!!

The guy that built my new engine has done 40k with his current engine, admittedly with a pheonix crank and a series shells, but he changes gear at 6k on the road, and 8!!! when racing, all done with modern filters, and regular oil changes..... gotta say something about the set-up i guess...!!!!
When he did my engine, i was offered the option, but preferred going for the 'stock' look, as i knew my dad would turn in his grave at the thought....LOL!!
tonym

Post by tonym »

I have one of the filters shown at the bottom of the list of pics. Had it fitted along with my "new" M engine.
No problems with oil starvation or oil pressure.
Have just changed the the oil - I do it every few years or so!!. Got very upset when my engine man said that it was forbidden to use cheepo 20/50 from the supermarket at £5 for 5 litres anymore. Am crying in my [cheap] beer!
There is a purpose to this mail, however. I also wanted to change my nice new fancy filter cartridge - but I can't for the life of me get it off. Does anybody have any tips. ?? is there a tool for doing this??
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Any motor factor should be able to sell you a strap you put on a ratchet, or, you could do what i've done in the past, and shove a screwdriver through the filter to get some leverage on it...... not ideal if it still won;t come off though...LOL!!