Valve timing wheel

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ian judd

Valve timing wheel

Post by ian judd »

I have just been re-reading in 'Technical Topics' the part that deals with the head. One of the photographs shows a Castrol valve timing wheel fixed to the front of the camshaft. Can anyone tell me how this works, and where one might find one?

Cheers
Ian
Tony Gamble

Re: Valve timing wheel

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

There are several valve timing discs on EBay at the moment. Just search under " Timing Disc" .

In fact there is a nice Castrol one for a few pounds which looks great !

You will also need a dial guage !

There are several web sites which give good guidance on how to do it. I can let you know if you can't find one.

Good Luck

Tony G
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Hi Tony,
I had a look on ebay earlier, just after leaving my question. The thing is, all the discs that I've seen are for fixing to the crankshaft and the one in the article is on the camshaft. So, is it the same thing used in a different way, or a different disc made specially for fixing to a camshaft?
Thanks,
Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Ian,

I made one of these many years ago - I used AutoCAD to do the graphics (although you could use virtually any graphicas package, or even draw one by hand the old fashined way with compass and protractor - remember them? :D ), printed it onto card and then made a small fixture that allowed me to fit it on the front of the cam using the nut, that retains the bevel gear. if you cannot find a suitable one, you could consider going down this route.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi Ian

Yes , they are the same. The Castrol one on EBay at the moment [ £2.45 currently ] is identical to the one in the technical section of this website.

You only use the disc to measure angular rotation. Thus you set up a pointer [ fixed on the cylinder head or some point that will not move on the bench ] and you can read from the disc how much [ in degrees ] the camshaft is rotating. Using the timing chart for the vehicle you will know how far ahead / behind TDC you need to be , etc etc.

Sounds far more complicated than it is in practice. It is quite time consuming , and a lot of patience is required.

Tony G