Charging help.................

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Re: Charging help.................

Post by Ronald »

Well, today i finally got around to fitting the rebuilt dynamo, what a fiddle that is, so, this dynamo has 3 brushes, so you have to run the engine to adjust the 3rd brush to get the desired output...so i fitted the dynamo, bolted it down, and the drive plate in place, then tried to refit the oil return pipe, nope, you have to tilt the dynamo to get that on... so, unbolt it all again..... fit oitl pipe, then rebolt the dynamo etc......

So, tomorrow will see the engine run up, and the 3rd brush adjusted, then, i have to remove the oil pipe, in order to refit the shroud over the brushes, before i can then refit the oil pipe, again!! and then fit the radiator etc and fill with water to be able to run it properly......

What i did manage to do today was start the engine briefly (as no water) and check that its showing a charge..... which it is... phew, getting there..... should be running properly and run in in time for the summer rally........
Toby

Post by Toby »

These cammy minors do seem fiddly! mind you thats the sort of thing i seem to regularly come accross-you've just got the thing together then it has to come off, then on, then off, then................... :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

very true Toby, managed to get it all sorted today though, i actually drove it aswell... first time on the new engine!!!! felt good, but needs miles on it to loosen up a little......:)
Toby

Post by Toby »

FANTASTIC! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Just thought i'd revive this thread...........

having now driven the car several times, and done a few more miles, it's become apparent that the dynamo isn't charging enough to keep the battery topped up, even when only driving during the day, without using any lights etc......

I have moved the brushes etc from one end of their travel to the other, and it makes no difference to the charge given.... i only seem to be getting about 3 amps max...... surely a dynamo should give more than that..... any ideas...????