Rubbihg hub!

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Rubbihg hub!

Post by Toby »

I found my hub nut was slack on one side when stripping out the oil seals and brake shoes and the post that the shoes sit on was loose. I'm not too concerned about the post as all was well before the leak and the nut is tight, I obtained a new lock washer but when the hub was tightened up so that the centre journal is against the step on the axle to stop it spinning it rubbed on the return springs and went tight. As the step is a fixed point, the backplate is also a fixed point and the centre journal a set thickness I can't work out why!!! Any ideas :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Trevor Wilkinson

Re: Rubbihg hub!

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Hi Toby,
is the bearing fully home in the hub?if it is not it will put the hub further in.
I assume both hubs are the same.
Trevor
It's got wheels and cogs, you are bound to have trouble! :cry:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Toby,

This reminds me that I read or heard somewhere a long time ago that the brake shoes are handed, in that the steel loops to which the springs attach are bent over very slightly one way or the other, so that the springs avoid the hub. I have seen this on some shoes, but not on others - it seems to be very slight.

I'd first take a look at the shoes, and try reversing them top and bottom - it might help. Also, do you have the correct springs, with an offset 'V' shaped hook each end? These are designed to give extra clearance - a regular spring of the same dimensions would not work, and I have found some pretty odd looking ones on cars over the years.

Hope some of this helps - if I understand your problem right!
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

From memory I don't think that the shoes differ with hydraulic brakes, but correct springs and fitting is important.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Cable brakes, new springs from s&v with original shoes, bearing home! Didn't think shoes would be handed! will check now i've got some ideas! It's always better to approach a problem with some extra input, it can make it a lot easier!!! :D
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Toby,

Mine are handed, worth checking!

Halbe
Toby

Post by Toby »

Shoes don't appear to be handed, springs are, DOH! :lol: