Spring meet near Winchester 2009 3rd May 2009

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Spring meet near Winchester 2009 3rd May 2009

Post by Toby »

There is to be a spring meet at The Windmill Inn, Four Marks, between Winchester and Alton, Hants. It will be on the Sunday 3rd May. It is hoped that we will have lunch but booking is advisable-I suggest we try and get a communal table of vmr folk but this means anyone who wishes to dine needs to let me know in advance. You can view the pub and location, plus maps at http://www.thewindmillinn.info Also there are other things to occupy you in the area including the watercress line, http://www.watercressline.co.uk a functioning steam railway. I suggest we test the venue and return in Autumn or next spring to do the train as well? Unless someone else wants to organise the train and we "go for it" this time!!!? So far we have 3 cars, Highlander, Toby and Simon. Any other takers? :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Spring meet near Winchester 2009 3rd May 2009

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks, Toby. Let's see if we get a few more takers - if so I'll organize the train thing - am just doing the same for the GWR at the Summer Rally.

So, as Toby asks - any other takers at this time?
Toby

Post by Toby »

Fantastic! Good weather, a wonderful 4 hours minoring, to be repeated with train rides in the future? See report in mag.
We drove...

We ate....

We discussed...

We steamed...

But we had to go home :(

if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I agree with Toby - a wonderful day, super weather and my minor went better than ever. 50 miles there and 51 miles back!! It was great to meet like minded folk, some I had not met before. Kevin Mitchell came in a modern but lives a few miles from me at Banstead and has just aquired a 1929 minor - Kevin I will be in touch. I did promise to buy the first beers but I got so carried away with meeting people that I forgot!!! A true Scot!! A quality day, Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

What a fantastic day! Wonderful that members drove such distances to be there, and all in great weather and, evidently trouble free. This really is what the Register should be all about. HUGE thanks to Toby for being so tenacious in organizing and promoting the meet and to everyone who turned out and drove a goodly distance to be there. I was getting a little down at the lack of Register activity lately, but I'm over the moon now, and it inspires me to get the Bed-Pan up to the Cotswolds for July/August - can't wait to get behind the wheel again - it's been a long time since Dorset.

Actually, I was out today when Toby sent me the pics - we were crafting an offer with our realtor (read estate agent) for the new VMR HQ - see other thread. We were planning a rent-to-buy deal, but just discovered that the house is about to be repossessed by the seller's mortgage company, so now the scramble is on to raise the deposit and a mortgage by the foreclosure date of 24th July. With this, the Piper Colt purchase, M 133, the Yearbook, the VMR e-mail address change, and the Summer Rally all in process, plus working overtime in the office and a wedding to plan, life ain't exactly boring right now!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Which makes me think, Paul. You drove Jayne and I down from Booker airfield to the Compleat Angler in Marlow on or wedding day 26 years ago (in your big old Austin tourer). Maybe you will be able to drive our daughter on her Wedding Day!
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Many thanks Toby for a really enjoyable day. Company excellent, food good, what more could we want !
Look forward to the next one.

Paul.