Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

prharris25

Magazine

Post by prharris25 »

Any signs yet ???
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Magazine

Post by Ian Grace »

Am waiting for word from Bev that he has received it - not yet.

The Oz magazines went to Ewan Lambess this time, as Alex is traveling. He will distribute to Oz and NZ.

Remember that it is already in the member's area for immediate download!
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Obliged. The fun always used to be in receiving the hard copy. The download is never quite the same, but times change I guess.

Paul.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Paul,

I looked into just providing an electronic copy, but quickly decided against it - for that reason, plus not all members are electrically connected, and of those who are, not all have high-speed connections. However, I will still post the Magazines in electronic format in the Members' Area as well as mailing hard copies. The big advantage of the electronic copy is that it is in glorious technicolour!

Also, although I want to maximize the use of the Internet to the benefit of members, I am uneasy about ending up with a split community - the 'have PCs' and the 'have-not PCs'. This is not primarily an internet-based club (no offence meant to others that may be!), and I don't want it to become so - it should remain a CAR-based club! :D
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Like Paul I look forward to the hard copy of our magazine, I can work my computer - just- but still find it difficult. I write 3 or 4 handwritten letters a day, post them and then look forward to the replies (at 73 I still have 6 uncles and aunts alive in Aberdeenshire). I have a mobile phone but never use it, two modern cars but prefer my Minor, I tell the time every day from a clock made in 1715 - I am like that and I cannot see myself changing. Highlander.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Magazine arrive today - Thursday

Thanks Bev
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

.............and mine. Thanks Bev.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Mine came today, thank you. Am I allowed to say I was dissapointed with the quality of the print and photographs. I am told the quality is first class in both print and photos when you do it yourself so what is different when it is printed for you? Please, this is just an observation. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

It is the difference between printing and photocopying. I have just bought a big new printer/photcopier/FAX machine which is down in the basement because it weighs so much. So I had to print off master pages on my desktop printer and then photocopy them on the big Canion machine. I am investing in a wireless gizmo for the Canon pritnter at present so I am hoping to print M 133 directly to the printer, which should greatly improve the print quality. Failing that, I will load the Magazine ontlo Jayne's laptop and connect that via USB into the back of the Canon.

The other problem this time was that, back in Michigan, I used to print the photocopy masters on a Laserjet printer (in the office!), but M 132 master pages were printed on my small inkjet here at home, so the masters were not as sharp as usual this time.

Ian
halbe

Post by halbe »

Today received in good order.

Thanks,
Halbe
Toby

Post by Toby »

received Thurs :oops:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, another superb Magazine - thank you. The article by John Nagle was unbelievable. I wonder if John is a blogger (what are we called who read every line printed on this forum and sometimes reply?) I know Paul Harris is. My 1933 two seater, was AMG 30, spent some time in the Reading area and I wonder if John or Paul knew it them? From the end of the war, 1945 to 1963 it was in the High Wycombe area, Penn Garage, Penn, Bucks (Mr. C> Frazer) had it from 1963 till 1968 when a David DeSilva from Putney owned it and did a lot of work on it. I have letters to and fro Harry Edwards giving advice on colours, etc. David sold it in 1976 to a John Gowin, Spencers Wood, Reading. It then went to the South Coast for 25 years before I purchased it 5 years ago. Can you believe a complete engine rebuild in August, 1967 by Prince, Kingston was £30.10.6!!!!!Does this ring any bells? Have not left the house in a motor car for three days!! Highlander.(getting soft!)
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Alister, I knew when we first met that the correct registration number of your Minor rang some bells. I hold a lot of totally useless information in my head and registration numbers are but one rather sad example !

John Gowin was a mate of mine (actually, he was Best Man at our wedding in 1972 ! ) and we met way back in the sixties when he used to work at a garage in Spencers Wood (the next village to ours) and I used to take various doubtful vintage cases to him for "sympathetic" MoT's ! Austin 12/4's with no brakes a speciality !
I well remember him getting AMG 30.....it was in a shocking state and I really thought he had taken leave of his senses. He already (thanks to me leading him astray) had a very nice Morris Eight four seater tourer and an even better very early Morris Ten. He was, however, inspired by our two seater, 0W 4224, the subject of the John Nagle article..what a small world it is ! ....and wanted a 1934 season car of his own. They were very thin on the ground and therefore when AMG 30 came up he had to settle for that. David Cooksey did a lot of work to the rear of the body but I think that John found it hard going and when a rather nice Series One Land Rover came on the scene for caravan towing (the Ten had towed their Fisher van all over the country up till then) something had to go. As the Ten and the Eight were both in excellent order, it was the Minor that went. I know he had a job to sell it as of course it was far from a running proposition.

If anybody wants to know the registration numbers of all the MG 1100's in our area in 1967, just ask me !!!!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ha! I learned to drive in a Wolseley 1100 around 1970 in your area (Finchampstead, Arborfield, Crowthorne, Wokingham) - LBL 469E. Then my father replaced it with a Wolseley 1300 - XJB 505H. Indeed what sad buggers we are for remembering such! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

I am only just starting to forget the reg. of all the vans my father owned, in Reading 1970s and every car and bike I ever owned! I try not to remember them as it uses vital brain space :lol: I also tend to remember phone numbers which doesn't help either!!! Hopeless at faces and names though, perhaps it's something to do with all those numbers? :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear