Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Re: Magazine

Post by Highlander »

Paul, I knew you would have the answer!! I am a little surprised at the condition of AMG 30 in 1976. From bills and receipts the minor was sold in 1967 for £125 in good working condition!!!!. Later in 1967 the engine was rebuilt at a cost of £30. Also in 1967 a new radiator core £8.12.6, four tyre at £5.10.0 each.In 1970 various bit and bobs from The Minor Shop, track rod ends and shackle pins £15. also 4 new hartford Shockers £20. The letters to Harry Edwards in 1971 states the colour he wanted and the upholstery etc, side lamps and rear lamps. Even if he flogged the minor to death in the next 5 years (and we all did) ,I would have thought the condition would have been better than you remembered. I do know it was quite rough when purchased by Mr. Curtis 30 years ago. All good stuff. Is John Gowin still arround and would he like a picture. When this snow goes we must have that promised pint. Highlander.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

I would imagine that the Minor was dismantled in the late 60's for a restoration which did not happen. Certainly, when John Gowin got it in 1976 it really was a series of tea chests and the bodywork only loosely hung together. David Cooksey from Wokingham re-attached the rear body and I think re-panelled the back.....although he might have just re-fixed the original panels. I know the mechanics remained an unknown quantity as John had by then lost interest in it.
Sadly, John and his wife moved to North Devon on enforced retirement....retirement did not suit John and he rather went to pieces and it ended in separation I think.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Paul always suprised me with his knowledge of reg numbers. I could remember a few from well known cars and I could remember most of the regs of cars I had owned ancient and modern.Quite a few.
Can anyone tell me why when I now walk into a hotel and they ask me the reg of the car I have just left outside, my mind goes completely blank :?. In around 1957 I used to have a 1936 Morris8 saloon (black over maroon} which I used around Ascot,Reading,Slough often taking all the equipment and three other players around to football matches. Does anyone remember the car ?
Reg No HF4864. It acquired the nickname "Hell Fire" from all my team mates and supporters. More I think from the spirit we consumed rather than the spirit of the car :oops: . In early 1958 I traded it in for a 1939Morris 12/4 which that summer I toured all around Devon,only problem I had was going down Porlock hill.
Great story from John Nagle. Lets have some more stories of cars we have owned.
Mike.