2 Minors in a 20' container

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

2 Minors in a 20' container

Post by Ian Grace »

After VMR/VSCC 75 I'm planning to bring the Semi-sports and the McEvoy back to Seattle. A Minor is, I believe, about 11' long. A 20' container is 19' x 7' inside.

The Mac has no engine or front wings fitted, so by removing the wing stays and the front axle, it should only be about 2' wide at the front, so the two cars may fit diagonally to each other. However, each car must have some room either side so as to get around the car to secure it, etc.

An alternative would be to tuck the chassis head of the Mac under the tail of the Semi-sports - there would be about a 3' overlap, but I am not sure whether there is 3' of chassis forward of the firewall or not - can someone take a quick measurement? - lengthwise and heightwise, assuming the front dumbirons would be on the floor? Either way it might get tight. There may be other more creative options, remembering that there is plenty of vertical head room!

Of course, if anyone wants to ship a third car over, a 40' would be ideal.

Any thoughts?
Ronald

Re: 2 Minors in a 20' container

Post by Ronald »

If it's tight to get the fron of the Mcevoy chassis under the semi sports, you could always buy a cheap set of ramps and put the front of the semisports up over the front of the chassis.... if you see what i mean...... you'd still need to remove the front axle though, would the shippers be ok with that...??? are you able to pack/unpack the container yourself...????

Ian, just been out an measured MT's chassis, the actual chassis is about 112 inches long, ie, 9ft 4, however the semisports has overhanging bodywork on the rear, can't remember if it has a front bumper....... not sure about bodywork on the Mcevoy........ but the rear of the semisports in very narrow, so, front of the mcevoy overlapping the rear of the semi might just get them in on their wheels...!!!!!

And yes, it's dark, raining, and windy.... the things we do for you Ian...LOL!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ronald,

Thanks for that. The ramp option had occured to me - a way of using the third dimension of the container! The Semi-sports does have a front bumper, but that could be removed with a couple of bolts and save about 6 inches - good idea. (I once saw a Rolls 20 which had bumpers which could be rotated upwards to shorten the car for ferry crossings! Shorter cars are cheaper on ferries - you wouldn't have thought a Rolls owner would care!).

Re removing the front axle, I'd have this done beforehand and transport the car to Colnbrook on two wheels. Without the engine/gearbox in place, there would be relatively little weight at the front and so it should be easy to pick it up at the front and 'wheelbarrow' it around.
Toby

Post by Toby »

sounds easier to just move back to blighty? :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear