Stewart & Ardern supplier's playe in eBay

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Stewart & Ardern supplier's playe in eBay

Post by Ian Grace »

For all you owners with MU registrations!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D4
prharris25

Re: Stewart & Ardern supplier's playe in eBay

Post by prharris25 »

This looks like a late thirties or even later celluloid plaque. The plaques fitted to the "MU" era cars were usually quite large oval enamel items. Quite superb, but looked rather out of place when screwed on the left side of the small wooden dash as they usually were.
These cars also had the S&A "Service After Purchase" numbered brass plaque screwed to the bulkhead under the bonnet with the engraved signature of the first owner. All were dated and had the Registration number stamped on them followed by a letter denoting the model...i.e... A for a Minor, B for a 10/4 and so on.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Paul,

Good input. I have seen some of those brass S&A guarantee plates in the past - with the etched signatures - lovely pieces of history. I agree that this celluloid plate is probably later than the Minor era, but perhaps would be a good subsitute for S&A cars which may have lost their brass guarantee plates over the years.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Quite agree. In fact this small celluloid plate would look far more in keeping with a Minor than the period glassed enamel one. They look fine on a larger car. What with this glassed enamel plaque plus the brass under-bonnet plate, there was no doubt where your MM or MU registered Morris car came from !!