OHC gearbox gears needed

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

dixiedog

OHC gearbox gears needed

Post by dixiedog »

Does anyone know who might have some spare good gears for my MG M type box? Mine are so worn they are incredibly noisy! If you have good gears hidden away and want to sell, please let me know. I had heard that someone in the UK was making new gears and layshafts but know little else. If no new or good gears, any suggestions?
Best,
Ray
DF9053

Re: OHC gearbox gears needed

Post by DF9053 »

Isn't noise normal!!

If you take a look on the Triple M forum you will find some discusions about gears and gearboxes for M types.

Wouldn't it be easlier to find another second hand 3 speed box?

cheers
Jeremy
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi

I have the internals from several three-speed boxes. Let me know which bits you want. They are not new , but could be better than you have.

Tony G
dixiedog

Post by dixiedog »

Hello all,
Yes, it would be easier to fit a good box....if there were any over here in the States!! So far, I have been able to find SOME of the bearings (modern replacements). I twigged to just how bad this tranny is due to my Morris Minor transmission, which shifts like a hot knife through butter! It is tight, precise and fun to use! The M type tranny screams like a fishwife in comparison, and shifts like a crowbar in a keg of nails. So, you see where I am with this little project.
Is there more than one type of OHC transmission? One with external dogs on the gears, and another with internal dogs? A fellow down in Geogia sent some pics of one he has spare, but although it appears VERY similar, the gears are different...
I will inventory my exact needs, and mail to those who have answered with some good used gears....thanks to all, I look forward to meeting such a fine and helpful group this coming summer.
Best,
Ray
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I sold a set of brand new original gears and shafts to Paul Rogers a couple of years ago and he was looking into having a batch made from these unworn patterns. E-mail him at morrisnutter@hotmail.com.

Also, this from October 24th on the Sports & Vintage website:

"We have commissioned what will probably be the last ever batch of Close Ratio Gear Sets for the MMM Wolseley designed Gearboxes and a deposit will secure your for delivery in December. We are also running a small batch of J Type Input Shafts to suit standard J Gearboxes, alongside the above, so please advise as soon as possible if interested. (There are only 7 sets not spoken for)."
dixiedog

Post by dixiedog »

I checked with Sports and Vintage. The gears and parts they are having made fit only the 4 speed boxes. Just FYI.
Best,
Ray
Toby

Post by Toby »

I posted a thread on this a while back, contacted Paul who still has the gears but we never got any further! I now have a pair of good gears but no shafts, I have found a company who makes gears but havn't yet got any prices as I'm waiting to try and get patterns for all the parts, it's a long term project and price may be prohibitive. Would be good if you could let us know the spec for the bearings as this info saves us all finding it individually and I'll need it when I rebuild my box!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

There are some new gear wheels on ebay. 1st and reverse, apparently unused. The item number is 150318072628, or type in mg m type

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Nice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 26_fvi%3D1

The seller has some Hartford bits and pieces too.
brianm

Post by brianm »

I do npt know the reason but second gear on dorothy (1929 ohc tourer 3 speed box) is very noisy. my prefered solution is to get a well reconditioned gearbox and swap it over. can anyone help? I would either buy outright or exchange after fitting the new one.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Second is always noisy because it is indirect and uses more cogs than the other gears. I've had some terribly noisy boxes in second but, touch wood, never had a failure.
brianm

Post by brianm »

yes Ian i understand what yuo say but 2nd gear on prudence also agnes is quiet. so also was dorothy quiet before she was lent. This is why she is no pleasure to drive hence my request for help in fitting a reconditioned one. i hope someone who can help will telephone me 01162478284. regards b.