Headlamp upgrades

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Headlamp upgrades

Post by Ian Grace »

Someone was asking recently here about headlamps and how to improve them. I received a press release today from a new company that is offering 6 and 12V quartz halogen direct replacement bulbs for pre-focus and earlier bayonet type bulbs for vintage cars. I am contacting the owner to check out bulbs for our cars - looks like 25W/25W bayonet bulbs are GBP 7-50 each and improve illumination by 80% for the same wattage. They also accept PayPal. Feel free to e-mail the owner direct - Paul Goff at norbsa02@aol.com, and please mention the VMR.
Simon

Re: Headlamp upgrades

Post by Simon »

Hi Ian,
I have 25/25W 6V halogen bulbs in the Jensen. One has to change the single contact bulb holder for a double one. Some japanese motorcycles had 6" headlamp units which take standard halogen bulbs and can be siliconed into the minor headlamp rims once the glass is removed, the give beams with the tops cut off.
Highlander

Re: Headlamp upgrades

Post by Highlander »

It was one of my requests for headlamp improvement. One of you also mentioned Paul Goff and I cannot praise him enough. I ordered helogen 6 v 25/25 and the wrong type arrived - no problem replaced in one day!! I have these fitted and in the garage they look brighter but the test across the dark Epsom downs will have to wait until I get my axle sorted. Paul is a motorcylist and he has two very interesting bloggs on his site - worth a visit just to see them. Highlander