Hundred Pound ash frames

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Re: Hundred Pound ash frames

Post by Highlander »

Paul. It looks like you did not get your Dandy Annual for Christmas!!!!! Have a dram with me for the New Year!!?? Highlander.
ashford

Post by ashford »

The minor saloon on ebay I think is too good for a special but I agree it would be one of the lucky few if it gets restored in the near future.
An alternative to restoration and specials would be to do this: : :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0019199402

IT would be a real shame to cut this one up as the owner suggests but is even less likely to restored for 'what it is'.

I was trying to imply it would be great to see it restored as a saw bench - a piece of war time history and great for country shows / steam rallys etc.
Last edited by ashford on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Absolutely agree...this is a true no-hoper for restoration back to a 10/4 saloon, the bits simply are not there...and have not been for many a year. All running gear complete and easy to build into a good and reliable road going cycle wing special. Great fun and if a little more performance needed the 12/4 or XPAG engine drops in a treat ! If I wasn't so tied up with the MG and Land Rover at present, it would have been in the Motor House by now !
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

This 10/4's located just down the road from me. It last appeared at a local farm auction, three, possibly four years ago in the same condition as you see it now, fetching £310 on the day - it was presumably bought by the vendor's son. I believe the guy selling it is into Ford Model A's in a big way. £500 would seem a fair price - would make a good van / pick up.

Jeff
1936morriseight
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just visited the Bormans' woekshop here in Seattle over the lunch break - their Hundred Pound Minor is in bits and just about two miles from my office. It will need a considerabe amount of work on the ash frame, but it all seems to be there (except they can't find the doors!). The plan is to develop a set of working drawings and flat patterns as we go so that we at least have the capability of commissioning a batch of ash frames, should there be any serious demand.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Quick update on ash frames. It looks like I will have my workshop transported from Michigan in two weeks time, so I will be in a position to start work on the Borman Hundred Pound frame. As I do that, I'll be taking patterns and engineering drawings so that we can commission new frames. It won't take much to adapt the drawings to cater for rear tank 2-seaters ('32, '33 season models) and even the SV 4-seater tourer (like Toby's), which shared the same scuttle, sills and front-hinged doors of the 2-seaters.

To date, three or four members have expressed interest and we are working with two potential ash framers in the UK, so should be able to co-ordinate a batch at some point later this year. The emphasis will be on quality and accuracy.
Toby

Post by Toby »

anticipate a budget figure for 4 seater frames soon, if it's agreeable the guy will come and look at my car to give a better figure but i didn't want him to come over to view if i couldn't afford it.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Frank van Voorst

Post by Frank van Voorst »

I am interested in an ash frame for a '33 model 2 seater, so that makes 5.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have a price of approx. £2,000.00 for a 4 seater ash frame, subject to inspection of my existing one. Price may come down if more that one is done as a batch can be cut in one go....I will be going ahead and mine will act as a pattern, if not done at the same time then once mine is done and back with me they will have no available pattern in the workshop and the cost would be for a one off...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby and all,

Since the 2-seater shares much of its frame with the 4-seater (scuttle, doors, sills, rear wheel arches), it seems to make sense to invite your contact to make the frames, and to provide him with the data necessary to construct the 2-seater tail and bench seat base. I should be able to do this shortly.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just to add to that - the Bormans are delivering their Hundred Pounder to VMR HQ this coming Sunday, at which point I'll be able to start the drawings/patterns for the seat base and tail end.
Toby

Post by Toby »

send em to m when they're done and I'll contact the guy....
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Body duly delivered to VMR HQ last Sunday. I plan to prepare engineering drawings to include the scuttle, bench seat support and the 2-seater tail. Toby, if you can provide the patterns from your 1932 4-seater tourer, we will have jointly covered the scuttle tank (1931 season) and rear tank (1932/33 season) scuttles and the 2-seater and 4-seater rear ends, so we could then have any SV open body from 1931 to 1933 season covered.
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,

Did the drawings for the £100 two seater body ever get done?

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Not yet Philip,

The Bormans are hoping to get the body done this year, but they are very busy and the schedule has slipped considerably. I'll keep you posted.