Roll Call!

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Roll Call!

Post by Ian Grace »

Now that we have 53 members of the Forum, I thought it might be a good idea to have a roll call among us. I don't know everyone who has signed up and you don't have to be a VMR member to be signed up.

So why not everyone take a few moments to introduce themselves - who they are, where they live, what car(s) they have what state they are in, what parts or help they may be looking for - all that sort of stuff.

I'll kick things off.

I am Ian Grace and I started the VMR in 2000 when I suggested the idea to Ken Martin at the 2000 VSCC Prescott and he thought it might work. I live and work in Michigan where I have lived with my family for 9 years. I work as an avionics engineer for Smiths Aerospace - which has just last month been bought by General Electric, so won't be a British company any more!

I have a 1930 Morris Minor Semi-sports (LJ 4435) which is nearing the end of a 13 year restoration and which I am planning to bring to the UK this July for the VMR Summer Rally. I also have a 1929 tourer (OF 4554) which I found laid up in a basement in Kansas City, where it had been since 1986. I bought it two years ago and got it running - a little scruffy, but at least I had something to drive while the Semi-sports was being rebuilt. And I am in the process of buying a 1933 Jensen-special SV Morris Minor (NV 2803) in Ipswich, which has been laid up since 1956. It is 100% complete and very sound but will need a full but sympathetic restoration. I plan to collect it this summer and ship it back to the USA with the Semi-sports. I am looking for a nice 1932 radiator shell for this car if anyone has one.

Well, that's me - now over to you guys - don't be shy!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, This is Alister Reid (Highlander) seeing if it works.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian it works. My name is Alister Reid code name Highlander. I have been a vintage motorist for 50 years. In 1957 I purchased a 1927 Austin 7 for £5 which then was a weeks take home pay for a Police Constable. I have since owned many nvintage vihicles - Humbers, Alvis, Sunbeam,Rolls Royce 2ohp (3) and a 1921 Silver Ghost. On retirement I sold all the large cars for my penson and now own a 1933 Morris Minor 2 seater. I have had more fun in the last 14 months driving daily round the Surrey hills and dales in the minor than I have had in many years. I like the Vintage Minor Register because it is a hands on club who USE their cars. Best of motoring to you all, Alister Reid.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Welcome Alister! If anyone wants to put a picture of their car on this (or any other) thread, just e-mail it/them to me and I'll send them to the website and give you the link to put in your post unsing th "Img" button - it's very easy, and I can walk you through the process if need be.

Alister, do you have a photo of your car?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

TTT :D
Flemming

Post by Flemming »

Hi I'm Flemming Hansen, and at #55 I'm the latest member of the forum.

I'm 41 years old and live in Denmark, and I have half an Austin Seven Ruby and half a 2 seater 1934 Morris Minor. Luckily both cars are complete I just co-own them with my dad!

The Ruby we aquired in 2001 and spent until late 2004 restoring it. The Minor we have only bought in January this year, and it has been restored some 15 years ago, so we have only been doing small things.

Here is an attempt to include a photo of the Austin - if it works I will add a few of the Morris one of the next days (I don't have one at hand right now).

The Austin we know is an original danish (registered) car so it is LHD. The Morris is RHD (we're there made any LHD prewar Minors? - I haven't seen any), and we don't know if it is an original danish car, but at least it was already in Denmark in the 60'ies were it was owned and driven by a son of one of the founders of the danish audio and video company B&O (they are world wide known for the design on their products - at least in Denmark :P ).

Ian: I had a previous failed attempt to join the forum, so #48 "FlemmingMinor34" is also me. Somehow I got it all messed up, so neither the email nor the password seems to match what I thought I entered. You're welcome to delete this subscription - my apologies for the trouble.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the photo direct - hopefully!

Welcome to the VMR Forum Flemming!

Your best bet with photos is to e-mail them to me (at vintageminor@comcast.net) and then i put the in a directory on the VMR website and e-mail you the link which you add to your post.

Or you can link to your yahoo.com using the url button instead of the img button.

I'll try that now ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flemmi ... c15re2.jpg
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well that sort of worked - it provided a link to click which is almost as good as putting the photos direct in the post - specially if you have multiple pics.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the Minor.

Best regards,

Ian
Flemming

Post by Flemming »

A little delayed but here comes a few pics of the Minor.

On the pics she has modern style number plates, but just the other day we got historically correct number plates (same style as you see on the Austin 7 above), so now shes affectionately known as A9542.

In Denmark we have an arrangement so that we can get (reproduced) historical number plates corresponding to your vehicle providing that your vehicle is historical correct. If you can prove the original number, then you can even get that - so the Austin has its original number as we have half of the original customs document (the mice has the other half).

While at the subject of Danish number plates, here's a another little curiosity: On the picture of the Austin, you may be able to see that there is another symbol below the letter "A". This symbol is a glove which has an eye in the palm of the hand. Allegedly the symbolism in this is twofold: "The police is watching _over_ you" and "The police is watching you".

The pictures can also be found in high resolution at:
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flemmi ... ir=8378re2

Best regards
Flemming.
halbe

roll call

Post by halbe »

Hello my name is halbe Tjepkema.
I'm a saxophoneplayer/bigband conductor and 45 years old.
I live in The Hague in Holland
I own the car my father bought in 1967, an 1934 Aston Martin mk2 short/chassis. I do most of the work on the car myself and really enjoy driving her

I'm looking for an MG M (restoration project) and came across the VMR site by chance. I very much like the atmosphere on the site.

Happy motoring

Halbe Tjepkema

Ian:I will sent you a picture of the aston
Last edited by halbe on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris lambert

Welcome

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Halbe,
Welcome to our forum. Please post a picture of your 34 Aston, I would very much like to see it.
As for your M Type project I hope you can find a donor car. There are many M Type replicas that started life as Morris Minors and I acquired a 1932 Minor saloon chassis (with running board outriggers already removed) with much the same thing in mind. Just like 1930's Riley saloons our cars are sadly used as donors to feed a heavy demand for (in our case) MG M Type replicas.
I am instinctively opposed to the destruction of period saloons to replicate open cars of the period but plan to build a replica open car myself using an already mutilated saloon chassis. A moral dilemma?
Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

hello Chris

In my opinion it,s not ok to break up an original car and change it into something else.
I think our cars are little pieces of history and we should try to preserve them in an as original condition as posible.
So i am not looking for a donor car !!!,but for something original.
I think the dilemma is in the breaking up part ,when there is nothing left of the original body ,building something else is totaly acceptable
What kind of body would you like to put on your chassis?

Halbe
chris lambert

Minor Specials

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Halbe,
I suspect there was a time many years ago when using donor saloons to create specials or replicas caused little or no concern in the old car world as they were plentiful and would have ended up in the local scrap yard.
Original M Types donors are thin on the ground although there is one supposedly available on this website in the Marketplace section. I have tried to contact the vendor in N.Z. without any success.
As for which body to put on my s/v chassis, I am also hoping to build or acquire an M Type body but finding items such as front and side valances will be very difficult. Anybody know where I might find these items?
Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Chris,

You could try the MMM forum
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/default.asp

Halbe
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Whats all this talk of MG M types - what about the abundance of Minor's with special coachwork, Maddox, Gordon England, Maltby, Arrow, all good looking and if you took the time much more unique than an M type and one might say better suited to the chassis performance.

M-type bodies can be got for a price from Barry Walker, I think they are about £3,000 and come without the fabric covering - would make a good if expensive start to any project.

cheers
Jeremy