Christmas 2008 - Virtual Pub Meet

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Christmas 2008 - Virtual Pub Meet

Post by Ian Grace »

Those who were on the forum last Christmas might remember that we had a very popular virtual Christmas pub meet - where everyone could drop in and socialize over the festive period - regardless of the real miles separating us around the globe.

Well, the door is open, the log fire is roaring, the beer is excellent, single malts line a shelf right around the lounge bar, and the barmaid is wearing reindeer antlers (not JUST reindeer antlers, you understand). Who wants what, then?

I turned up in my newly-restored McEvoy - gray with green wings, wheels and upholstery, which was its original scheme. Looks good though, don't you think? Its running superbly, but I'm keeping it below 60 while its running in! :o

Cheers everyone! :D :D :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I joined the Chain Gang today - but sadly not with a Frazer-Nash.

We had a good dumping of snow here in Seattle overnight last night and it took me over two hours to struggle into the office via a circuitous route to avoid as many hills round here as possible. When I got there, there were only a few cars, and the receptionist told me that the office was to be closed today, so I could go home! So I fought my way back - past over 20 cars which had slid off the road into ditches - traction was virtually non-extistent, as Seattle isn't geared up for this sort of weather and so there is no salt anywhere, and there are virtually no flat roads. I reached Monroe where I decided to buy a coat (I had stupidly left mine at home in the morning). I reckoned I'd have to walk the last four miles home - up Big Rock Road, which I had only just got down in the morning, so no chance of getting back up to the house.

Outside the store, there was a chap fitting chains to his car. I got talking to him and he told me that he had just bought them in the store for $55. He then asked me what size my tyres were. I wasn't sure so we walked over to my Mercury Sable and checked. It just happened that he had a spare set in the back of his car, and they turned out to be the right size. $50 Dollars lighter and I had a set of chains, which he fitted for me, showing me how to fit them, and even gave me his plastic sheet which you kneel/lie on when fitting the chains. Twenty minutes after pulling in, I was on my way. Getting up Big Rock was now possible - amazing, but with the chains on the front (the Sable is FWD), traction was great, but braking was - if anything - worse, as the back end tries to overtake the front end with the slightest application of the brakes. But at least I got home - after five interesting hours. I then managed to get Jayne to work in Monroe where the hospital was in crisis mode because so many nurses could not get in. I'll be heading back down Big Rock at midnight to pick her up - assuming her replacement can get in!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Christmas 2008 - Virtual Pub Meet

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's to everyone for a great Christmas and an even greater early motoring year in 2009 - it should be a bumper year!

Snowed in in Seattle right now - had extreme difficulty getting back up the hill this morning - even with chains. Plenty of vehicles off the road including a Range Rover! Got provisions in which will last us until Monday at least. No turkey! Couldn't get to the store to pick it up - its on the next hill over. The stores here all have empty shelves because there have been no deliveries for over a week. :( Still, I DID manage to get to the liquor store two days ago, so we will be fine! :D :D :D
evosteve

Post by evosteve »

Hi ian i thought i would join you in the pub !
so is it still snowing ?
hope you had a good christmas with ut the turkey!
so when are you getting chains for the minor??
cheers steve
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Steve,

Just settling in for a cozy fireside evening with a sexy little 18 year old - name of Glenn Livet. :wink:

Cheers!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I prefer the older woman - mine is a 25 year old!! Glenmorangie!!! A stunning day here in Surrey (Boxing day) A cold sunny morning and the whole family as off walking the Downs, a pint in a pub and then home to finish off all that was left over yesterday!Tomorrow I have been given the morning off to try and get the minor finished. It should only take a couple of hours(!), which leaves me time for testing before Brooklands New Years Day. I am having trouble with the crossword!!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Boxing Day morning - the snow has stopped - had over 18 inches - so still snowed in. The problem is that there is a 20 yard 1 in 6 about a 1/4 mile from the house and we are trapped above it. I just took the Sable along there to give it a try, as Jayne is a supposed to be working at the hospital in Monroe today, but it is lethal. I slid down there the other day - with all four wheels locked and out of control. And there is a T junction at the bottom and nothing but a ditch and shrubbery beyond! The hospital is operating a search & rescue service with off-road vehicles to get nurses into work, so we are just calling them - it was never this bad in Michigan!

Good job this is a virtual pub meet! :)
Toby

Post by Toby »

Wow, snow! Does our heavy frost count!? Mcevoy looks good Ian, hope to have a minor on the road soon, saloon engine is done and will be with me in January, need to do those pesky seals on the tourer but garage appears to be full of house stuff, ah well. Going on a local run in the Rover this sunday and we went out for a motor in her on Boxing day. Now, wheres that barmaid gone?....
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Colin

Post by Colin »

Luckily since my minor has been off the road since the summer rally i have acquired a half share in my brother's Alvis so i have been "on the road" of sorts.
Talking of barmaids. our best looking one is now pregnant :roll: some lucky/unlucky bloke........... :lol: