Fabric Couplings

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

DF9053

Re: Fabric Couplings

Post by DF9053 »

I agree with Simon, pop a modern oil seal in, stop the oil coming out when you reverse into the garage.

As Ian and Ian say bolting a plate to the three armed spider works as the joints on the hardy spicer can accomodate the length and angle changes, but this would not work the other way round. The cup shape made by the 3 armed spider provide the space for the fabric joint to flex in.

By the way, is the Morris 8 four bolt coupling spare? I am thinking of a hardy spicer conversion for my M type at some stage and this would be a useful part to have in the box for when I get round to it.

cheers
Jeremy
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I can now see where I may have got it wrong in bolting another plate to the four holer and then drilling three holes to take the spider. I was still going to put the fibre coupling back on - by putting half inch spacers between the new flat plate and the coupling.However I have abandonded that idea and my three pronged spider is this very minute getting a sleeve extension the exact size as the four hole flat plate shoulder!!! For those how do not know this is the shoulder that enters the pinion housing and is held in place by a large nut and split pin. As Simon correctly stated this shoulder must be the correct length as it keeps the thrust bearing in place. I may not have made myself clear re my prop shaft. I have a hardy spicer joint at the gear box end and the fibre coupling at the axle end. At the gear box end it is telescopic and moves in and out and I thought this would take up the difference in length if I had gone down the extra flange route.Jeremy, if all goes well the four holer will be spare and it is yours (at the end of the day it is Ians!!!!) Simon. The locking nuts that hold the crownwheel bearings tight on my original axle are old fashioned tab washers bent over when correct tension is reached. The new axle has small (2BA) bolts, the head of which is proud. When measured across from head of nut to head of nut on the other side it is a good half inch wider than my old axle. Will everything turn when placed back into the axle itself? It is easy enough to test but it is easier to file the heads down whilst on the bench. Thanks for your input - Read all about it in my War and Peace book on Axle repairs in the next Yearbook!!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Highlander wrote:Jeremy, if all goes well the four holer will be spare and it is yours (at the end of the day it is Ians!!!!) Highlander.
Not a problem - you're welcome to it, Jeremy!

Ian
mike houston

Post by mike houston »

I'm afraid I've come into this a bit late in the day, but thought that some of the membership might find the attached photos of interest. I've recently removed these couplings off VG3260, and was surprised to find some stamped impressions on them. This would indicate that they were made by Hillman of Dudley? Whether that is of any interest I do not know! There are some other markings indicating a patent holder, but the rivets obscure some of the writing. Of more immediate interest to me is whether these couplings can be reused, or whether I should automatically fit new ones? My gut feeling is the latter, but I could be persuaded otherwise. Regards to all, Mike.
Attachments
DSC02942.JPG
DSC02942.JPG (56.75 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
DSC02941.JPG
DSC02941.JPG (55.52 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Without doubt Mike, I'd replace them. I had a rear one looking very much like yours break up on the 10/4 a few years ago whilst pulling away from a crossraods......a very unpleasant experience and the the flailing prop-shaft did a lot of damage to the metal floor of the 10/4. This is a strong area on a 10/4...what it would have done to the wooden Minor rear quarters doesn't bear thinking about. I'm now running on a later 10/4 Hardy Spicer coupling set-up as I refused to pay the silly money now being asked for the fabrics...which do not seem to last very long these days. I don't know how feasible this is on a Minor....on the Ten, the last of the 1935 models had them as standard, so no big deal. The difference it makes in smooth running is quite remarkable.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Paul is quite right but we are all different. I would reuse, certainly the better of the two and keep an eye on it. Highlander.
brianm

Post by brianm »

brian maeers here just trying to work my way with computer and will probably never find this site again . so here is the phone no of stephen brooks who makes the fabric couplings .i have had several he will post them . tel 01788822627. good luck brian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Brian,

If you are still looking - thanks for the info. You have made eleven posts on this site, so I am completely confident that you find it again at some point!

How is Dorothy coming along? Feeling thirty years younger, I hope!
brianm

Post by brianm »

re fabric prop shaft couplings. I have several in stock if anyone has a problem. they have 6 holes to join two three arm spiders. i have had a failure at 35 mph which is why i keep spares. message for ian grace yes dorothy is back which part of the forum shall i tell you about her and progress ?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Brian M, Your throw away line about coupling failure is a bit scarey!! Did the fibre coupling break up or did the bolts come undone? I have never had a coupling fail and I have driven with some rubbishy, worn couplings in the past but I always check the bolts once a week. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

brian m wrote:message for ian grace yes dorothy is back which part of the forum shall i tell you about her and progress ?
Brian, in the Our Cars section - start a new topic. Any problems - just e-mail me text/photos and I'll get it started for you. On the edge of my seat with anticipation! :D
brianm

Post by brianm »

alister.in feb 02 ibought restored 32 side valve tourer. my log reads....propshaft front doughnut bolts came undone at 35 mph (heidi in front and three grandchildren in back).a lot of heavy hittings of floor boards but only damage was earth cable was ripped off battery. i was rescued by tom walker (son in law _ i was two miles away) who dismantled rear end coupling and towed me home.the spider at front end of prop shaft was a bit bent so i got another one. the result of this is i inspect the doughnuts regularly. i used to use castellated nuts and split pins but they are a pain so now i use nylok. i have never had a doughnut fail but that is because i replace when they get too soft and the jam is about to run out. i have had trouble selecting the right length propshafts for my various cars...the problem is aggravated by the fact the wheel base shortens and lenghtens according to the load. i now am happy with them all. ian grace. i will try start new item re dorthy under our cars.brian
ColinWLee

Post by ColinWLee »

Back to the front again :roll:
Mine are just about knackered now and i'm finding them difficult to source.
Has anyone any clues please :?: I would be willing to buy four so i have a couple of future spares.
Someone suggested I bite the bullet and put hardy spicers on but i feel that would be a last resort.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Colin. I do have some old 'new' couplings. They are very hard. I also have some good but secondhand couplings. Where do you live? I have never had trouble with couplings - however if they are not right, or fitted incorrectly, vibration sets in. Highlander. Phone 0208 393 6732. (near Epsom Surrey)
ColinWLee

Post by ColinWLee »

Hi there
Thanks. I am near Sevenoaks, so not far. I will happily come over and cross your palm for any you could afford to part with.
My number is 01959 788077 or mobile 07714 228114.

Cheers
Colin