1,000 up!

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1,000 up!

Post by Ian Grace »

Just ran some nifty filtering on the Master Chassis Register (in the Members' Area) and came up with the following stats which make quite interesting reading:

Number of recorded surviving OHC Minors - 392
Number of recorded surviving SV Minors - 303
Number of recorded surviving M Types - 317
Total - 1,012

OHC Minors in VMR hands - 204 (52%)
SV Minors in VMR hands - 61 (20%)
M Types in VMR hands - 43 (13.5%)
Overall - 308 (30.4%)

Known survivors is a bit of an iffy parameter - since this includes all cars from concours to not much more than chassis plates and woodworm. The number of actual surviving SV Minors is very likely much higher (800 to 1,000?) - we have only been collecting stats for them for about a year or so, and the list is expanding rapidly. The OHC list is also still expanding, but at a far slower rate. The SV membership percentage (20%) is also much lower that the 52% OHC percentage for the same reason. The MGCC has records of over 400 M Types - the 317 we have recorded are based largely on our own research. The 13% membership also reflects the fact that we have only recently added the M to our fold, and there are also many other active MG clubs out there - not least of which is the MMM Register of the MGCC.

The headline number is over 1,000 examples identified, which is something of a milestone I guess. And 30% overall membership isn't too shabby compared to other registers. This percentage will rise as we get into researching the SV Minors more thoroughly and making contact with the owners.

Then we have the following images of surviving cars linked to the Chassis Register (and all viewable on the website):

OHC Minor - 191 (49%)
SV Minor - 143 (14%)
M Type - 67 (30%)
Overall - 301 (28%)

Finally, we have chassis numbers recorded for the following:

OHC Minor - 310 (79%)
SV Minor - 139 (46%)
M Type - 276 (87%)
Overall - 725 (71.6%)

Again, the more thorough OHC research over a longer time reflects in a much higher proportion of known chassis numbers compared to the SV Minors. The reason why the known M chassis number percentage is so high is because of liaison with the MMM Register and the accuracy of their records - which they have been collecting since 1930! The overall chassis number recording of 71.6% of all known surviving cars is an excellent number - since the chassis number identifies the car and this data is the foundation stone of the Regsiter.

Needless to say, if anyone can add (or corect) any data or images to the Chassis Register, please don't hold yourself back!

The latest car added to the Chassis Register:

Highlander

Re: 1,000 up!

Post by Highlander »

Ian, What a wonderful job you are doing. I am sure we would not be where we are today if it were not for you. I have been arround for a good few years and think I know where all old vehicles are hiding - just where are all these minors? I know everyone is not in the VMR, I know of three, all members probably of a couple, but not hundreds. Keep up the good work. Still diff-less!!!! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hold on a minute! The Regsiter is only as good as its members - and the combined input and enthusiasm they provide. If there are any congratulations to be handed out at this milestone, it should be to everyone who has made the Register what it is. All of us were out there with our cars before the Register came along, but the sum is greater than the parts in this instance - and being able to share and socialize is what really makes the difference, and no one person can do that. Vive la difference! :D

You ask where all these cars are. Have you opened the Master Chassis Register in the Member's Area lately? You can immediately see which cars' whereabouts/owners are known and which are not, and exactly who owns what among the membership. (I do have owners' details for many of the cars not in member's hands, but do not make this information public.) The stats I ran this morning can be done very quickly by anyone at any time using Excel, which is the format of the Chassis Register. All I ask is that everyone should take the time to take a look through this document from time to time and ask themselves if they have any information which is not in there. Or, if you come across a car - check the Register to see if it is there (including an image, the chassis number, etc.) The more pairs of eyes we have looking out there - the more we shall see!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, I take your point but who planted the acorn which grew the tree which is becoming an oak. No I have not looked at other sites as I find great difficulty in getting into them. I have tried the Members Page, I know the passwords but can never get in. Does VMR member mean just that or VMR Highlander, or VMR Alister Reid. I know the password. I have tried everything but to no avail. I still think member who drive their minor could visit these minor owner whose car have not seen the light of day for years to encourage them to get them going or to pass them on. You can only do this if you know where the cars are. I have looked at all the minor owners listed in the old Morris Register in Surrey and only Simon has a minor which travels!!!! I have re-read this and it looks as if I am having a go - not true, I love this Register and moreso this forum. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister - it is:

vmrmember

Entered exactly like that - all lower case, all letters, no spaces. Same for the password - lower case.

Any joy?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Thank you, it has opened up a new world!!! Also have contacted Toby and collection may take place next Tuesday. Thank you, Highlander.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,
What and where located is that Minor trials special, with its hydraulic master cylinder hanging out the side of the bodywork, which is pictured above. I would very much like to know as I am thinking about building a OHC trials special.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It is in Brighton - which is near Denver! :o Was exported 30 years ago. I should know much more shortly.
Toby

Post by Toby »

It looks similar to how my Roland Smith special looked, cycle wings and ali body in that style, mine benefits from the Family eight chassis with finned brakes and rad modified to take an "8" engine. Now if only I had time to do something with it!!!! :cry:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

OK - more on the car above.

Her's the engine room:

So what engine is this? And where did that water pump come from? Is that a downdraught Zenith? And what is that device over the front of the cylinder head with the ribbed rubber pipe coming from it? Some sort of vacuum device? Starter on driver's side. All very interesting!
Toby

Post by Toby »

mODIFIED 8 OR A****n 10? Its a brave man who kept the original rad?!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear