1929 OHC saloon on EBay

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

cammy

Re: 1929 OHC saloon on EBay

Post by cammy »

Interesting comments. Bren handled the bidding. I shall reserve our response until I see what we have let ourselves in for.
'M' cant be as bad as NG and I am hoping that the latest acquisition may become a rolling restoration without too much effort and cost. We shall see and of course I will keep every one informed via the forum and also the PWM Network site. As you have seen Ian wants a FULL REPORT so as per Halbe's lead we may all accumulate more data and shared information which after all is one of our aims.

Am busy practising wielding a spanner with fingers crossed and can't wait until Tuesday.

Thanks for the interest
Bren & Clive
Toby

Post by Toby »

Keep an eye open for any original paint! (see paint database idea under technical) :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Re Highlander's comments, supply and demand possibly has the greatest impact on Minor prices. Austin 7 specials sell well because there is a demand, and the demand is created by clubs like the VSCC and the 750 Motor Club, plus a host of A7 clubs who put on an enormous number of events and other activities for them. The Minor is in a different league in this respect, and - even if SV cars were to be accepted into the VSCC at some point - demand is never going to be strong with just the VMR and LCES to create demand. I can't imagine that a 1929 A7 saloon would have sold for just GBP 1k or so on eBay if in the same condition as this car! But then I suppose that is our gain - at least when buying!

Getting back to this car, I have it recorded that it was registered W 808, but there is no record of this number being on a Morris at DVLA. Presumably this number was sold? What is the registration number now? has it got a V5?
cammy

Post by cammy »

I will know more when we collect her. I will also be contacting Harry Edwards. I din't understand the technicalities and as the number was not mentioned on the ebay posting I assumed the number had gone and is on someones Mercedes. I still went ahead based on the description of the work carried out already and the costs we have incurred in collecting missing bits for NG. It just seemed a waste to let the opportunity pass by to buy what was there regardless of the number issue. If that makes sense.

As I said elsewhere: we shall see! And if it came to it I am sure I could put her back on ebay with a reserve of say £1250/£1500- a course of action I am not anticipating.
LATE NEWS
Just had a conversation with Godfrey Cross. Apparently she is registered with an age related number (2 letters 4numbers) so I will advise when I have seen the docs.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Excellent news - just let me know the number when you know it so I can update Register records.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

SL 9739 was collected from Stony Stratford yesterday. Clive is currently exploring all of the 'goodies' that came with the car. Here is an image of the car prior to loading:

Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tasty! SL 9739 going in the Register!
cammy

Post by cammy »

Ian, I know you have the body, engine and chassis number which I will check. Do you also collect radiator numbers? If you do it is 1265 234.

Other info: The car was purchased by Godfrey Cross's father from a Mr Bill Davies of Westlake Speedway motor Cycle Fame in 1980.
Godfrey thinks the car came from Chickerell -Portland Bill area.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Radiator numbers? I do now! :D Might be interesting to collect these and look at the spread. We could also use the data to determine if cars still retain their originals or not. Anyone else got a number they'd like to offer?

Thanks also for the historical snippet, and congrats again on the acquisition!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Why is it that whenever I see a slightly tatty Minor, especially with boxes of bits, I get an urge to reach for my wallet?! :lol:
Her indoors would go loopy if I ever succumbed to my urges! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
cammy

Post by cammy »

Just to let you know that SL is now stripped to the chassis and work starts now on the restoration and rebuild. Many original features discovered.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well done Clive! Why not start a thread in 'Our Cars' and post some pics?