McEvoy Morris.

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

McEvoy Morris.

Post by Highlander »

I h ave just taken delivery of November Automobile and in its Discoveries Page is the following McEvoy for sale in Provence. 1931 original McEvoy/Pomeroy Morris Minor Special, reg RC 300. I seems, the owner a Tony Mattinson is selling up, house, cars etc and can be located :- tonymattinson@yahoo.de
There are lots of period photos with the article. I am still looking for a 60s Minor convertible (also a very good article on the Morris Minor at 60 in the same mag.)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: McEvoy Morris.

Post by Ian Grace »

This is huge news for me. Could I somehow get a scan of the article? I have known Tony for many years and have all his rebuild pics of this car. This it the famous prototype McEvoy Minor which competed all over the palce in the thrities. The last time I spoke to Tony (several years ago), he was thinking of finding and refitting a Zoller blower and then acutioning the car. Do we know who has it now? Is it coming back to tghe UK? I will e-mail Tony and get more info. for us all.

Tony ran a restoration business in Germany and then semi-retired to Provence some time ago, and has been commuting between tihe two for some time.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

One of the photos in the article shows it at the start of the RAC Rally. It seems to be fitted with truly enormous brakes which look much bigger than Family 8 type, and they appear to be alloy drums. (The car is no longer fitted with them.) Does anyone know what they might be off?

Ian
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

I was talking yesterday to the person who tells me that he has bought it. I had better not disclose names yet in case all deals have not gone through, but the person I was talking to was very excited about it , and promised to rally it it to next years VMR summer rally.

Let's wait and see !

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wow Tony - good work!

Ian, this is a famous(ish) photo taken at the start of the 1932 Torquay Rally (which became the RAC Rally in subsequent years)- taken with the one-legged Suillario at the wheel. Mc Evoys is standing in the background. The nameplate across the radiator reads "ICH GLO..." and nobody has ever worked out the meaning!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,

Wait until you get a copy of the Automobile and all will be revealed!!!!! My computer skills are rather lacking in the attachments area.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I don't get the Automobile here - can anyone else scan it? TIA.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

What's your new email contact address ?

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tony,

vintageminor@comcast.net is ongoing, and my new office address is IGrace@uascwa.com.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Would anyone like to post some pictures of the McEvoy/Pomeroy Morris Minor Special ? Or for that matter any McEvoy pictures would be interesting. I would love to see them.
The other 'Sprecial' I would like to see pictured is the Billy Sullivan Minor Special which appeared at the Ards TT.These are mentioned often but there are few pictures.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

As reported on the home page this morning, I can now confirm that Peter Plant has bought RC 300 from Tony Mattinson. He will be collecting it from the south of France in March. Tony acquired this car at auction about 20 years ago and started a complete rebuild, but the work stalled some time ago and the car has been languishing in Provence since. When I spoke to Tony a few years ago, he told me that his plan was to find and refit a Zoller blower and then re-auction the car. (Tony collects blown cars). But Zollers are scarce (and not very reliable either) and so these plans got shelved when Tony's health started to fail recently. He alos spent much of his time running his restoration business in the Black Forest, so that probably didn't help either.

Knowing Peter, he will complete the work in short order and HOPEFULLY, this historic car - with Brooklands competiton provenance - will receive a VSCC Buff Form, and we will see it climbing Prescott ere long.

Seeing this car return to the UK makes me feel slightly less guilty taking NV to the States! :o