We made it!

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

We made it!

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Guys,

We made it! Something like 2,500 miles, arrived Saturday, our truck is nowhere to be found, so camping in our rented house - airbeds, sleeping bags, bought some pots, pans, sitting typing this on the floor. Brought the PC in one of the cars, so got back on the internet today. The drive was epic - vast distances of nothingness across Nebraska and Wyoming. Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons were awesome. Seattle is fantastic - mountains, lakes, vast swathes of soaring evergreens, Puget Sound, volcanoes ,the Pacific and so much more. We are now 8 hours behind the UK, and a few less than we were ahead of Oz and NZ - haven't worked out the exact difference yet. In the next couple of days, I'll get a chance to read the latest forum posts and catch up. Hopefully, our belongings will re-appear shortly too. M 132 will be under way and I'll have an interesting travelogue for Tailpiece, for sure.

I can still pick up my Comcast e-mail, even though we are now online with Broadstripe. Haven't checked the vintageminor mail yet. The address will change at some point, but not just yet.

Cheers for just now, and looking forward to hearing everyone's news.

Ian
halbe

Re: We made it!

Post by halbe »

Hello Ian,

I'm glad the trip went well and just hope the truck will find your new home too.

good to see you back on the forum

Regards Halbe
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Yes, welcome back. Seattle sounds like gods own country - SCOTLAND!!!! Lang may your Lumb reek. Highlander.
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Great news: I am pleased that things are looking up after a difficult period. Good luck to you and Jayne - and to William and Amanda wherever they may be now...!
Ken
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Ian & Jayne,

Glad you have arrived safely. I expect your Terminal Five (Heathrow) problem will sort itself out shortly. Had a good Beaulieu - found two more Smiths shockabsorbers and a source of spare parts - friction material and rubber bushes. Will now be able to run the 29 minor as Standard, not modified with Hartfords. Will the UK phone to you work in due course.

Best wishes,

Simon
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian & Jayne

Best wishes and good luck with your new career(s).

Look forward to the VMR getting running normally again.

Regards

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Quick update - our belongings still not here - typing this sitting on the floor with keyboard on lap. We still have our Comcast e-mail which is working well - we have it on 'vacation hold', so we still get e-mail normally, and will probably NOT change to Broadstripe addresses. The Vonage 'phone should still work whewn it arrives, but we may switch the the UK pseudo number to a Grand Rapids number - I'll let you know. In the meantime, you can contact us on our cellphone ay (+01) 616-389-5700, which is working now.

On the truck is the new VMR printer/copier/FAX which will transform Magazine production. It is a professional, floor standing Canon - huge. Our stuff is SUPPOSED to be here tomorrow - but I'm not holding my breath. The trucking company are utter cowboys and sent a truck far too small, so about 1/4 of all our stuff had to be left behind, including the entire contents of the garage - parts, tools, etc., etc.

Next week, I should be able to get back to M 132, so if anyone has any new, articles, input, that would be a great help.

Cheers for now, and thanks for all the kind thoughts,

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

Just in for my weekly computer use, well done and good luck. Do you have a new address for vmr hq? I told the potential members at Beaulieu to contact you by email, not post, for membership as you were on the move.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

31809 103rd St. NE, Carnation, WA98014. Not the easiest address to remember!
dixiedog

Post by dixiedog »

Ian,
We made it as well! My buddy and I drove straight through 13 hours to pick up the Minor, then 11 home. The difference was taken up by our having to drop off Riley parts part way (the cost of company!).
The interior looks great, but I wish the trimmer had had more time to replace the hood and side curtains. He faced the seats in matching leather, which is probably not correct but looks fine.
I drove the little car to a local show on the 4th of October, and it won it's class against a Riley and a Sunbeam. I think the paint madly leaping off the galvanised body had something to do with it!
The restoration will begin in earnest in January with the idea of making it ready to ship to the UK for next summers tour. Keep your fingers crossed!
BTW, I had a Seattle couple on the plane yesterday; they said it was still raining. Any truth to that? ;-)
Ray
Best,
Ray
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Ray,

Welcome home! Did you find the box with the brake bits, etc. in? Or is it still in Bob's shop? Did you manage to snag any 18/80 parts from the back of the garage?

Rain here in Seattle? Jayne says she's getting webbed feet. Still, at least you don't have to shovel it for six months of the year! :D
dixiedog

Post by dixiedog »

I found the brake parts. I was so very tired that I missed it being put into the trailer! We did, however, manage to get 17 mpg at 70 mph while towing in the newly modified Suburban diesel. At least the fuel cost didn't kill me.
I have noticed the Seattlites sometimes have gills...... :-) I didn't notice their feet!
Best,
Ray