2009 VMR Dutch Rally

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

2009 VMR Dutch Rally

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Guys,

Here's another first for the Register. Over the second weekend of September 2009 (11th-14th) the Dutch contingent of the VMR is planning their first Rally.

It will take place in the western part of Holland around the lakes near the beautiful old city of Leiden. The Saturday will be used for driving and in the evening there will be a informal dinner. On Sunday we are planning a short drive in the morning and something different for the afternoon. On Monday, a visit to Delft is planned which could include a boat tour through the canals of the old city.

Halbe is anchoring the rally - more details as we get closer, but keep that period open in your diaries for what will surely be a great weekend.
ericmouser

Re: 2009 VMR Dutch Rally

Post by ericmouser »

Keep me posted, please :lol: Eric
halbe

Post by halbe »

So far so good,

Thank you Eric and other's for showing interest in the first Dutch VMR rally :D
Beside Eric and the three from the Suffolk area there are now at leased 5 Dutch "entries"
If there is anybody thinking of joining us in Holland please let me know , I need to get some idea about the size of the hotel accomodation .
The rally will be held from the hotel so for me it's important to know what is needed in terms of the amount of rooms .
Also take a look at this :

http://www.prewarminor.com/#/2009dutchrally/4531019899

Regards Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello all,

I have found the rally headquarters / hotel :D
Will keep you posted a.s.a.p., watch this thread!

Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe has reluctantly decided to curtail the event and is now testing the water to see if there is any interest in a one-day event. Let us hope so.

We have only two Minors entered so far for the VSCC Light Car Summer Rally (normally about 10 or 12), I have not heard from many who will be at VSCC 75 (and I notice that the VSCC is having to cancel some VSCC 75 events due to insufficnet numbers) and numbers are down (so far) for our own Summer Rally, and our spring pub meets have been better attended in the past. Is this because of the economic downturn, the increase in social networking via the internet, planned obsolescence kicking in for our cars, or what? Are we actually collectively using our cars less for some reason these days? Are the events being offered not what people want any more?

It would be interesting to know the proportion of cars in members' hands that are actually on the road - MoT'd and taxed and actually being driven regularly, because this puts an absolute cap on rallyist numbers. I suspect that it is no more than 10% or so, but have no hard figures - this compares miserably with a figure of about 90% for the MG 18/80s! Maybe a survey sent out with the next Magazine might provide some quantitative data - there is just time to get this out with M 133. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I know of more than one Minor that has emerged from rebuild this year, but I know of several that have been pulled apart! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The event takes place this weekend. Thanks again to Halbe for all the thought, enthusiasm and energy he has put in to the weekend. We have three cars traveling from the UK. Have a great time guys.
halbe

Post by halbe »

The first Dutch Rally was a great success!
Nice weather and some beautiful roads through the green heart of the west of Holland.
Apart from the support of the three Anglian entries we had three Dutch entries (family and friends)
what a pity that none of the Dutch VMR members choose to join, well done guys :evil:

On the Sunday it was time to have VG out of the garage for the first time to be inspected by the Experts :)

All in all a great weekend :!:

Halbe