brake linings

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

brake linings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All, I say all meaning anyone who is a register member,seems to be the same few who use this forum,anyway does anyone know where I can purchase some brake linings for my 32 Minor (ali shoes). I know Harry Edwards and a couple of others do an exchange service, but I want to rivet them on myself. Thanks. Regards, Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: brake linings

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest either Mike Dowley (01939/210458) who should have the linings and rivets (for M Types - identical top OHC and SV Minors (non-hydraulic)), or I use Vintage Frictions in Bristol and ask them to rivet rather than glue.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian, Thanks for info, hope everything is going well. Mike
brianm

Post by brianm »

the brakes of prudence ohc squeal so badly just before stopping that i use hand brake to spare embarrasment. i use m dowley linings which i rivet on . some days ago i fitted a pair of heavier drums i found from the rims of which i had to remove about 20 thou to fit. it has not made any difference except the squeal starts at higher speed. i have tried other lining material smother and black from yesterdays comp and find no difference. i have three other minors and none of them embarass me. can anyone help.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hello Brian,
I had an identical problem on the Semi Sports where the car could be heard braking from about a mile away. The noise is caused by a combination of drum material thickness, the bell shape of the drums and the affects of the linings material being applied against this bell. Someone likened it to running your finger around the top of a glass. David Roscoe heard my car (as did everybody else!)at the 2007 Rally in Dorset and suggested that I fit some huge air conditioning jubilee clips on the drums. I purchased same, fitted and tightened and no more squealing. I have four spare items which I will put in the post to you - they will absolutely solve your problem! (Paint them black to match the drum and they are not noticed)
Regards,
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Brian,

Chris is correct - there are several items which can be fitted around the drums to dampen the squealing, including net curtain spring - a tip I picked up from Dave Cooksey long ago. I also have a set of aftermarket steel bands with left/right threaded attachment bolts which were originally fitted with rubber between the bands and the drum. I have never been able to find these in any Morris spares list, but you can clearly see them fitted to the prototype Semi-sports in photos taken at Cowley, so the factory was also aware of this problem.

My old '29 fabric saloon had a bad case of brake squeal - and a report on the Wolds Rally in the VSCC Bulletin noted that I had been awarded the squeakiest brake award for the day!

One other tip. The '29 brake drums were very thin and this was changed on the later OHC and SV cars. On the Semi-sports, I took a set of SV brake drums and machined down the flanges so they fitted the OHC backplates - this certainly reduces the distortion in the drums under braking which is what causes al the noise, and also improves braking as the drum is more rigid.

The early M Types shared drums with the Minor, and then (in 1930, I believe) were fitted with alloy finned drums - not sure if this was really to disperse heat or primarily to give the drums some rigidity.

Finally, I also have a pair of OHC (i.e. small-flanged) drums which have heavy steel bands heat-shrunk directly onto the drums to provide stiffening - again, I am not sure if this was someone's mod. (if so, it was very professionally done) or if any cars were so fitted by Cowley at some point. Has anyone else seen drums like this?
brianm

Post by brianm »

hello chris and ian. thanks ian for explanation that i must have found sv drums that needed flanges reduced, but they still squeal.i look forward to trying your jubilee clips chris v kind of you chris to send me a set.about the gaiters tightened by lh/rh threaded bolt.... one wheel has this aleady. i have found 2 more one of which has the bolt broken... so ihave the wherewithall to do some experimentation.it is nice to be back on the computer a new applemac of heidi. the old one is in the bin regards brian
brianm

Post by brianm »

chris. thanks for the jubilee clips just arrived. i have tried the idea before but the clips were not as heavy as yours so willl try again.