Dynamo warning tale

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Dynamo warning tale

Post by Ian Grace »

Just fitted a rebuilt dynamo to the tourer this afternoon - in readiness for Ray McCrary's collection in a couple of weeks. I fitted a new flex coupling, nuts and bolts from Mike Dowley while I was at it. Then refitted the top water outlet, fan and belt and adjusted that all up. Then I went to turn the engine to re-time it before refitting the distributor. Turning it on the handle, the engine suddenly seized solid. Errr....

On close inspection I found that one of the new flex coupling nuts was fouling the back of the top water outlet where the fan clamps in. The nuts supplied by Mike were double thickness, and there was no clearance, so the nut was fouling the water outlet casting and preventing the coupling, and therefore the entire engine from revolving. Phew - nothing serious!

I ground a tad off the back of the water outlet, and all is now fine. Of course, the M Types won't have this problem, as they have no fan, but something to watch if you are fitting new flex coupling nuts to a Minor. :D