Petrol again!!

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Petrol again!!

Post by Highlander »

I am still in the Humber Register and have just re-read my last Newsletter. Someone who has owned his 14.40 tourer for 50 years and therefore knows it inside out has had major problems with the 14.40 not pulling. Timing, carb etc all tried but no difference. Head off and all looked OK but re-ground the valves, cleaned up the head and even re-faced the head, new plugs - no difference. Another member of the Register suggested petrol as he had the same problems. On thinking back his 14.40 was empty so he filled up at his local supermarket. He drained the tank, filled up at a Garage and the Humber has never gone better!!!! Again I ask the question - what petrol do Supermarkets sell? Any chemists out there? Highlander.
David Whittle

Re: Petrol again!!

Post by David Whittle »

The speed a large Humber consumes petrol I am surprised anyone would notice any differences!

Roger Guest over in the flat lands, the Humber 'Guru' will give you chapter and verse about flame speeds and modern petrol’s suitability for vintage engines, which he says is a problem. Others say different and it is all snake oil!

I would be a little surprised if the big supermarkets were selling inferior petrol, they value their good name too much!
Maybe this global wetting we are suffering is getting into the undeground tanks at some locations? :idea:
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Toby

Re: Petrol again!!

Post by Toby »

When I used to subscribe to a Landrover magazine there was a hot debate over cheap diesel, the outcome was that the supermarkets used fuel supplied by the oil companies but in the case of diesel cost could be kept lower by using less, or inferior, lubricants in the fuel which was backed up by reports of fuel pump failures in diesel Landrovers filled up at supermarkets. Not a precise scientific investigation but it could be possible that cheaper petrol is produced to a smaller budget? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear