minor colours

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

dixiedog

minor colours

Post by dixiedog »

hello all,
does anyone have ici formulation on the standard colours on the '29 Minor? Or ppg, sikkens, etc.? i am looking specifically for the dark blue, but would like to see them all.
Best,
Ray
halbe

Re: minor colours

Post by halbe »

Hello Ray,

I don't know the right colours but would also like to know the name or number of the blue used in 1929 for VG2007.
Also where to get the right fabric and what it's called.

Regards
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I believe that this has been researched deeply in the past. The original paint was supplied by Bripal (a contraction of British Paint & Laquer), who were taken over by ICI. ICI were contacted, but could not help with colour codes of any sort. The original colour name was Niagra Blue, but that doesn't help, I'm afraid. The same situation applies to the brown colour, and I think others have researched that, including Ken Martin. I can tell you that the blue colour is very dark - unlike many of the cars we see at our rallies today. In particular, the blue of by old tourer VF 6700 was definitely to light. I think the colour on John Nagle's saloon and on the ex-John Smith tourer is just about right, but this is only my subjective opinion.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Write to HMG Paints,Riverside Works,Collyhurst Road,Manchester M40 7RU. They have a massive colour library.I think they hold records going back many years of car manufacturers colours and mixing formulas for UK. They will probably only answer serious enquiries. Worth a try. Good Luck, Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Mike. It would be great if we could crack this issue. I'm sure the Bullnose Morris Club must have some data too, as the larger contemporary Morrises used the same paints. The '34 tourer pictured on the home page looks about the right colour to me.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian, Something has just come to mind. A few years back I remember going to the Sparkford Motor Museum and seeing a 1930 Oxford Six like the one I have. John Haynes kindly let me have a close look around it. I think I remember him saying it was original. If this was so it would probably be the blue of the time. Mine was originally the same blue, called Oxford blue, which I suppose makes sense. I believe the car is still in Sparkford Museum. I believe it was donated to the Museum by its elderly lady owner who had always been chauffer driven. Mike
Toby

Post by Toby »

Gideon Booth or Harry Edwards, I think, have bs No.s for some of the old colours. I recently read a letter in an old journal giving a BL equivalent to some, will try and dig out the issue if I have time!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hi Toby,

That would be great

Thanks

Halbe
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi All, Toby did you ever find the mag with the original colours :D

Colin
dixiedog

Post by dixiedog »

Oxford blue......would this be the same Oxford blue MG used on some of their cars? It was, as I recall, quite a dark, rich blue. If so, I should be able to get formulation for it from the MG fellows.
Best,
Ray
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

wow thanks i willtry the mg chaps many thanks Col :D
halbe

Post by halbe »

When you find the right colour, please let me know the colour numbers/name for my fabric saloon

Halbe