ignition timing for sidevalves

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

ignition timing for sidevalves

Post by Toby »

Hi all, this may seem a bit dull but I can't remember the timing setting at TDC-full advance or full retard?! Just to open the proverbial can of worms... I'm using tetraethyl lead additive that also raises the octane, I use it every other top up, but has anyone found a better timing setting for modern fuels etc.? I'm about to start double checking everything on my hot sluggish saloon :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Trevor Wilkinson

Re: ignition timing for sidevalves

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Timing should be TDC fully retarded, for racing I advance by 3 deg. :twisted:
Toby

Post by Toby »

I should have known the master of speed would know! In all seriousness do you actually time it so fully advanced it's actually 3 deg more than normal? How does that work with your automatic advance retard system? :? confused of Reading
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Or to put it another way, when its is fully retarded it is actually 3 degrees before TDC.
With the racing set up I actually have about 5 deg. btdc before any advance sets in.
By now you should be thoroughly confused and wish that you had never asked!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think I see :shock: Just been in the garage and the points gap was nearly non existant, I assume from bedding in, set up timing on the slightly advanced side of fully retarded and intend to try extra advance if required. This has all been rendered academic for the meantime-did my 500 mile retorque, erring on the side of caution at 20/25lbs, the crack repair has now opened up again and the block has a serious weep, I am now off to have a serious weep too! :cry: I can console myself with the thought that 2008 was the year I briefly had 2 minors on the road simultaneously and have now learnt that in future it is cheaper to buy a runner, nick the engine and break the rest, having sold the registration, than it is to have the engine rebuilt :shock: heigh ho.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Reading the advice being given to Toby re his over heating problem someone sugested fuel. The suggestion was not to fill up at the supermarket but in the local garage. Ever since Supermarkets have sold petrol, and our local one is Sainsburys, and we always shop there and therefore get points which gives us cheaper petrol - thats where we fill up. As we shop with the minor it gets filled there as well. I mention last week how well my Minor went after a pint or two and late at night - today I went over to my brothers at Cobham 12 miles away. I forgot to fill up at Sainsburys so filled up with Shell at Cobham. The Minor came home like a rocket!!! It has never travelled so fast for so long and I held 45mph for about 3 miles and even the 40mph warning sign lit up for the very first time!! Can this be the petrol? If so what petrol does Sainsburys sell? My speedo is not steady but up till today my average top speed was 40mph on the flat. Today it was 45mph. My sv is timed fully retarded TDC and I use old three point Lodge plugs. Toby - if your leak is external try the toilet paper and super glue - worth a try and very cheap. I have also used successfully the two pack tubes that stop leaks (wonder weld/leak stop etc) Golf in the morning, Aye Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Couple of comments - doesn't the SV Minor have a DJ4 distributor which is not automatic advance? And Toby, if you need a good spare block, then there is an engine in Colnbrook with your name on it. :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

Crack is structural so I'm afraid it's not a case of sealing a leak, Ian-I still want the engine and box, await instructions for the bits for you and can collect when I drop your stuff off. The thing that p***es me off the most is that I have spent more than the cost of another minor on the engine overhaul which was necessary because of the stud pulling and cracking the block! I guess I still have all the good internals with new bearings etc. but I've spent my rebuild budget for the 34 tourer on the saloons engine! Trevor has many racing mods hence the variable advance retard comments.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby,

With just over three weeks to go before the great wagon trek west (2,332 miles, if we don't get lost on the way), I doubt very much if the container will arrive here from the UK before we leave. So Plan now kicks in, which will be to ship the Semi-sports, the McEvoy, your chassis and other bits in a 20' container from the UK to Seattle after next year's summer rally. So you can collect the engine and box from Colnbrook whenever you like. If you can store my other bits which are in Colnbrook right now and your chassis, etc. until approx. next August, then we have a game plan. Problems this end are compounded by the fact that the rental house we have in Seattle has NO garage and the rental agreement prohibits keeping unlicensed cars on the property. The plan is to sell our house here in Michigan and buy a new one (with an enormous garage) around next August - our rental is a 12 months lease. Nothing like a little utter chaos to brighten up one's life. :twisted:

By the way, I just bought a huge printer/copier/FAX for the VMR on which all future Magazines will be printed. It is so heavy, I need a vehicle with a lifting tailgate to collect. Now back to packing... :cry: