Bearings

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

minorman

Bearings

Post by minorman »

Having wrecked my CWP and rebuilt the diff, I decided to replace the wheel bearings while I am at it. I have sourced them at 7.75 GBP each, plus VAT and carriage for 2 off! I suspect they won't give much discount for small quantities, say up to 50 items, The supplier is one of the old companies who made the originals but has merged with others over the years.
Incidentally the price quoted by another company was 14GBP and the MR nearly double that even for members - the only people they supply.
As the company has many old records (no - not 78 RPMs) they are likely to be able to come up with similar prices on other sizes. How far do people want me to investigate? What ones are worth getting? If there is enough demand I could buy up a batch for use within VMR.
Dave
In a perfect (motoring) world presumption and ignorance will win over expertise and skill.
David Whittle

Re: Bearings

Post by David Whittle »

minorman wrote:Having wrecked my CWP and rebuilt the diff, I decided to replace the wheel bearings while I am at it. I have sourced them at 7.75 GBP each, plus VAT and carriage for 2 off! I suspect they won't give much discount for small quantities, say up to 50 items, The supplier is one of the old companies who made the originals but has merged with others over the years.
Incidentally the price quoted by another company was 14GBP and the MR nearly double that even for members - the only people they supply.
As the company has many old records (no - not 78 RPMs) they are likely to be able to come up with similar prices on other sizes. How far do people want me to investigate? What ones are worth getting? If there is enough demand I could buy up a batch for use within VMR.
Dave
Dave
The problem with rear wheel bearings seems to be that the original ones were, I believe, double row and of super quality. These were discontinued donkeys years ago. Most of the single row replacements cannot eliminate the MOT mans wheel waggling antics enough as the axial tolerances cannot match the requirement! A very tight interfearence fit between halfshaft and hub will often hide this back wheel MOT play problem, but may result in halfshaft failure due to stress cracking (thats what happened to me). I recently fitted two new rear bearings of the highest spec I could find, and they still have too much play! We could do with a source of quality double row rear wheel bearing! Some cheap bearing may give startling results, so beware.
Regrads
David
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
RLucke

Post by RLucke »

Hi David.
I have recently replaced my rear wheel bearings, and certainly the ones that came out looked original and were normal single row bearings. I replaced them with ordinary, easily available 6208 bearings,made in Austria,for £7.64 + vat and postage. (Simply Bearings Website). I cannot understand why these should be a problem with MOT tests, unless they are not fitted securely. This scenario would certainly contribute to half shaft failure. I have never heard of a double row bearing for the rear wheel, BUT there was a double row special high capacity one used as a front crankshaft bearing on some of the "Go Faster" OHC engines. I wonder if you are thinking of this?
Regards. Roger.
Roger Lucke
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

The following may be of interest:
As far back as the 1970's, the Morris Register spares catalogue was listing R&M LJ40 (S.K.F. 6208) as the rear hub bearing for all Minors OHC & SV 1929 to 34, Series E Eight's, 10/4 Series II, III & M, 12/4 Series II & III and 14/6 Series II & III.
A 1950's bearing catalogue describes the LJ40 as a single row light series metric ball journal of inner diameter 40mm, outer 80mm, depth 18mm

The Pre-Series Eight's used R&M LDJ40 (no S.K.F. equivalent available then) and the Series I & II Eight's 1/LDJ40 ( I believe this was a 'special produced for Morris' and is no longer available). The Morris Register now supply a more recent offering - S.K.F. 4208 as a replacement for both of these. The 1950's bearing catalogue describes the LDJ40 as a double row (rigid) light series metric ball journal of inner diameter 40mm, outer 80mm, depth 23mm. The S.K.F. 4208 has the same dimensions.

Jeff
1936morriseight
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

1936morriseight wrote:The following may be of interest:
As far back as the 1970's, the Morris Register spares catalogue was listing R&M LJ40 (S.K.F. 6208) as the rear hub bearing for all Minors OHC & SV 1929 to 34, Series E Eight's, 10/4 Series II, III & M, 12/4 Series II & III and 14/6 Series II & III.
A 1950's bearing catalogue describes the LJ40 as a single row light series metric ball journal of inner diameter 40mm, outer 80mm, depth 18mm

The Pre-Series Eight's used R&M LDJ40 (no S.K.F. equivalent available then) and the Series I & II Eight's 1/LDJ40 ( I believe this was a 'special produced for Morris' and is no longer available). The Morris Register now supply a more recent offering - S.K.F. 4208 as a replacement for both of these. The 1950's bearing catalogue describes the LDJ40 as a double row (rigid) light series metric ball journal of inner diameter 40mm, outer 80mm, depth 23mm. The S.K.F. 4208 has the same dimensions.

Jeff
1936morriseight
Well done Jeff! Looks like the information I was given about the 'Morris double row' rear wheel bearing was correct! The pre-series 8 used them I know as my Dad rembered fitting them in the early 1950s to his. Others have told me that Minor had them as well and they gave much better results than any single row example.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554