VG3815

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VG3815

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

I am sure that Halbe will be able to provide you with all sorts of help through this thread, and it will be interesting for the rest of us to watch as the two cars progress in parallel in the bodywork and fabric restoration department.

I would just add for now that the 1931 season fabric saloons like yours (which are very rare - fabric bodies were going out of fashion by 1931) were offered in two colour schemes - blue with blue interior or black with red interior. I think yours is the latter?

The other nice feature of your car is the leather-grain steel bonnet which was only introduced for the 1931 season fabric saloons and Semi-sports. Luckily, your car has retained this over the years.

Good luck with the restoration, and keep us posted on progress.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Peter,

If I can be of help just let me know.
For me it's also the first time doing fabric but i'm very lucky in having a more or less perfect frame !
I have decided to leave the front bit on the car as well as the two sides. Tonight i have taken the rear panel out , the roof panel and the two doors were already out .
I'll put some pictures on the forum when i'm a little bit further with the work.
Just keep going and be careful, take a thousand pictures ( I did!) and all should be well :)

Feel free to contact me outside the forum
halbetjepkema@hetnet.nl

Regards,
Halbe
Peter Caldwell

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Thank you gents! Now I'm more inspired. If it weren't for below 0F weather, I'd run out and do some more tonight!

Yes Ian, definitely black with red interior. Wool carpets? The mice like it whatever it is/was.

Halbe, I will watch your progress with interest. There appear to be some very original parts on my car. I was excited to see the number 16 in chalk on the right side of the gas... excuse me.. petrol tank. On other cars I've worked on, those kinds of markings were some equipment or trim specification. I'm not sure it's true here, however. I know the wood around the rear glass needs replacing, and the door frames as well.

Next step is to cut the fabric? or pull nails?

Thanks

Peter peter@nosimport.com