VG3815

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Peter Caldwell

VG3815

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Hello, I've been a member of VMR for a number of years. The latest issue regarding VG2007 has inspired me to finally introduce myself.

I live near Madison Wisconsin USA. I own a parts store that sells parts for cars imported into the US. VG3815 has been in my possession for over 17 years, and I've done nothing to it, sadly. It hasn't gotten worse, but as you can see in the photo, it needs help. I have met Ian, and I hope to see him again.

This is among many cars I own in similar shape. I finally have gotten to where I have a facility to work on it, and the time. I hope to have it sorted, not necessarily restored, but respectably drivable by next Spring. I'll share some in process photos.

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hello.

Peter Caldwell
Attachments
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG (108.63 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
chris lambert

Re: VG3815

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Peter,
Good to see you have taken the plunge and joined the forum - welcome! Your car looks ripe for some work but these cars repay the effort expended upon them by providing (mainly) lots of smiles per hour. I look forward to keeping up with the renovation through your 'posts' here. I wonder how many of these cars are resident in the US and Canada? There are at least 6 to my knowledge and probably quite a few more.
Chris
PS Your car was originally registered in Norwich, Norfolk towards the tail end of 1930 which is about 25 miles from where I am sitting now.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Peter,

Good to read about you and your car on the forum!
As the owner of Vg2007 I can tell you it's the best place to start if you have any questions or problems restoring your fabric saloon.
Can you tell us more about her? Chassis number etc.ect.
Hope to read more soon .

Regards
Halbe Tjepkema
Peter Caldwell

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Oh yeah... chassis number. M34370 also on the plate U34925A I guess it's a "late model".

Thanks for the welcome. I'll need a nudge now and then.

Peter
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

That is a very late chassis number which must make your car either the youngest or one of the youngest surviving Fabric Saloons. We know that Morris produced the later side valve car in a Fabric Saloon version but as yet no survivors have surfaced - so potentially a historic vehicle.
Chris
Peter Caldwell

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Chris, I was at the Beaulieu museum about 14 years ago and did some digging. They contacted me maybe 2 years ago as they were putting one together from the last week of production, I think? Anyway, they wanted me to tell them about the bonnet and cowl, and I told them mine was the dimpled "leather look". (sorry, I don't know the proper term) for which they thanked me. Apparently my car is close to theirs, and they weren't sure which may have been correct? Peter
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Peter,
I can recollect Ian writing about this, either here on the Forum or in the club's magazine. It appears that (if memory serves) the last of the Fabric Saloons had this bonnet finish as of course did all of the Semi-Sports. Again, from memory, the register is now aware of three such examples, but your car must be the youngest of this small and elite bunch.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, that's right - it is a (late) 1931 season fabric car, so has the dimpled bonnet, as does the 1931 2-seater Semi-sports. Peter's car also has chrome finish, of course. Peter visited VMR HQ a couple of years ago when I was in the process of putting the fabric on my Semi-sports - the only VMR member ever to visit VMR HQ, although, when the move to Washington is complete, Debbie and Tim Borman will only be ten miles away!

All this talk of Semi-sports reminds me that I must remove my For Sale advert for mine from the website. Today, Jayne was offered a super nursing job in Seattle, starting 4th November, so now (fingers crossed), no need to sell! Now THAT'S worth a drink tonight! :D :D :D

Good luck with the task ahead, Peter - if you want to meet up again before we relocate, we'll be in Grand Rapids until the 14th of September - and you would be very welcome any time.
Peter Caldwell

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Ian, I had planned to visit in a few weeks, but other plans were made.

Stop by WI on your way west... it's on the way.

Peter
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Such good new re both your jobs that I am about to drink your good health and fortune with a double Highland Park!!!!! I am so please for nyou both as Molly and I have been through it twice. Best of luck. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter Caldwell wrote:Ian, I had planned to visit in a few weeks, but other plans were made.

Stop by WI on your way west... it's on the way.

Peter
Peter,

May well do - I was planning to pick up 80 west from Chicago, but we could come across the lake on the SS Badger to Milwaukee, then take 90 west thru South Dakota. Always wanted to do that, and this is possibly our last opportunity. Looking at it, I think the removal truck will be here Monday(15th September), so we could leave the house in the afternoon and stay in Ludington Monday night, then be in the area to pick up the Badger westbound at 9 am, getting in at noon central time, so we should be with you for tea! Would that work for you?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Highlander wrote:Ian, Such good new re both your jobs that I am about to drink your good health and fortune with a double Highland Park!!!!! I am so please for you both as Molly and I have been through it twice. Best of luck. Highlander.
Thanks so much! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hi Peter, always good to have a new forumist. Look forward to seeing more photos, it helps with our inspiration! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's Peter (right) on his visit to VMR HQ in 2006, checking on my fabric progress on the Bed-Pan. That's his Mini in the drive.
Attachments
DSC07664.JPG
DSC07664.JPG (456.44 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Peter Caldwell

Post by Peter Caldwell »

Wow...... Well, it's been a while since my last post.....
I finished the barn that is to house this project and a few others. Inspired by re-connecting with the person I purchased the car from, I am re-embarking on the rebuild. I've exorcised the animals, and removed the body.

I feel comfortable with the mechanical aspects, but a bit daunted by the fabric end of it all.

I am not intending a Concours level restoration, but I want everything to be period correct as much as practical... even with the inherent foibles. I have other cars to drive daily.

So, my first of many questions... How careful should I be in removing the fabric and (sadly) Naugahyde(?) And, what is the proper, or acceptable replacement. The older stuff looks like canvas, and the grainy stuff looks like Naugahyde. And are there some good pictures of how it should look.?

Thanks for reading! Peter
Attachments
DSC01924.jpg
DSC01924.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 3229 times