Advice for a newbie

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

vonjono

Advice for a newbie

Post by vonjono »

Greetings all

I've just bought the 1932 special bodied thingy from down in salisbury. i've owned (and still do own) a 1934 Austin 7 box so I'm not a true vintage newbie. This is the first non synchro box I've used and I can't seem to get it right going down from 3rd (top) to 2nd always managing a bit of a crunch - usually bloody loud if there is anyone within earshot. I have tried all sorts of double clutching techniques with limited success. It is fine going up the gears. I guess it is either:

1 knackered gearbox
2 Poor quality driving (though I would not want to admit to this - spent many years driving a racing car)
3 This is normal for the car

I've also noticed that when I go into first or reverse from standstill, again I achieve a crunch no matter how gently I try and tease it in.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience please (and did they make an auto box in '32 ??).

Thanks in anticipation.
chris lambert

Re: Advice for a newbie

Post by chris lambert »

Welcome to the Forum Vonjono!
Blimey - tough first question! Firstly crunching the gears invariably happens within earshot of interested passers by - apparently it's connected with Sod and his law! I have also found that practice doesn't make perfect in this case. Changing down with cold oil in the gearbox makes for less than perfect gear selections, warmer oil does help. The gearbox also has straight cut gears which definitely doesn't help either -but it can be done, and no greater feeling of satisfaction is there than when it goes in with a satisfying click! I was tempted to mention double de-clutching but decided against it, 1.) Because you have driven racing cars and it would sound very patronising and 2.) I am not sure I could find the descriptive words to do it! There will be experts here who can tell you!
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I would just add that if the gears crunch at standstill when selecting first or reverse, perhaps the idle is set a little high?

By the way, welcome to the Register and welcome as the one hundredth VMR forumist! :D
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Ian Grace wrote:I would just add that if the gears crunch at standstill when selecting first or reverse, perhaps the idle is set a little high?

That and maybe the clutch needs adjusting.... or the pedal is for some reason not getting full travel!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Dear Vonjono, welcome to our very helpfull club. What part of the world do you live? I am in Surrey and use my Minor every day and also have owned many Austin 7s. From Cold my minor crunches in 1st and reverse, but when warm is very silent in all gears - are your fingers ajusted correctly? Either come over here or me over to you. Again welcome. Highlander. KT 17 lLA, Epsom Surrey.
vonjono

Post by vonjono »

Thankyou all for your kind advice,

I have tried reducing tickover, it was a little fast.

I will try altering the clutch operation - this looks like it is merely moving the actuating lever anticlockwise on the shaft that sticks out of the gearbox which will make the pedal come up on the floor more I guess but if it does the job I'll be happy.

The fingers suggestion is as yet beyond my tech understanding - I think I need to buy a book !!

I am located on the Hants./Wilts border on the Salisbury plain, just off the A303, and if I get stuck it would be great to hook up with someone.

While I'm here - does anyone else's gearbox oil filler nut become fouled by the handbrake assembly.

......and is a terminal velocity of about 40mph seem about OK for an SV ??

Once again thankyou for your time/comments - it's great to be able to tap into such expertise !

Kind Regards,

Jon
Simon

Post by Simon »

When stationary with the clutch pedal fully depressed try selecting top gear, if you get a crunch then the clutch is probably not disengaging properly and adjusment will be necessary (see manual for details). This action will bring all gears in the box to a standstill and you should be able to then select 1st or reverse.

The clutch pedal is fixed to the shaft from the gearbox with a cotter and if put in the the wrong way round will affect the position of the clutch pedal on the shaft and clutch operation. The nut on the cotter should be on the engine side of the clutch pedal which has been machined flat.

There may well be a clutch stop bolt screwed into the clutch housing on the engine. Check that it is not stopping you depress the clutch fully.