Minor re-wire

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

Minor re-wire

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All,
I am rewiring the Minor with the dynamo and control box that came with it,
The dynamo a C45Y-A108
The control box an R95/3
The switch a new plc6 with
L H&T contacts
IG contact
A contact.
I believe this might be a Ser.E set up. I have run most of the wires and am quite happy with most of them but not being a auto electrician I have a few doubts,not wanting to burn anything out I wondered if anyone out there had done this conversion. Help!!
Mike.
1936morriseight

Re: Minor re-wire

Post by 1936morriseight »

Hi Mike,

As an Eight Series I Tourer owner for thirty six years, I can confirm that the standard set up for the Eight Series E was: Dynamo C45YV - A108 service number 228269, Control Box RF95 service number 37081A, Ignition Switch PLC6.
I could scan the wiring diagram I have for an E, if that would help cross reference with your Minor's diagram.

Jeff
1936morriseight
Mike Stubbings

Re: Minor re-wire

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Jeff, Yes please that would be most helpful. Also fitted to the Minor(32sv see our cars)is the Eight type column switch. This was fitted by the guy who had restored most of the car before he died. I am retaining this also. I purchased a large stock of Ripaults wire,not cotton covered,and I am rewiring it myself. I have done my Oxford and Cowley with no problems because they were
both original and not messed about, so there were no problems. I was reading about earth wires in the forum yesterday. I always put earthing points on the chassis, 2 either side at convenient points front and rear is a good idea. I do this by drilling a 6mm hole and make sure I have bright clean metal around the hole. Then using a 1 1/2 in bolt and two serated type spring washers I lock the bolt on and then paint it both sides but not the thread. This gives you 4 points of good earth to take your earth leads back to, and you can bolt on as many as your length of remaining thread will allow. Having driven these cars around in the fifties I learned a lesson ,check the earth first, saves a lot of wasted time. I now always run seperate earth wire to each individual
point where earth is required. Thanks for your help, regards Mike.