Daft Question.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Re: Daft Question.

Post by Highlander »

This afternoon I looked at the headlights again and evan ran an extra earth wire from the bulb to earth (engine) No difference. Tonight we are having thunderstorms but I have been over the downs to Headley on completly unlit counrty roads. If stopped by police all one could say I had a white light showing to the front!! Full beam or dipped all one can see is the grass verge. Road signs were not lit up. However I have driven small 6 volt cars for over 50 years and I has always been the same so why am I bothered. Do any of you drive at night on really unlit roads? Even my home road with 20 houses in it is lit like a christmas tree. Would your lights light up a number plate at 15 yards? We have had some fun with this one - keep it up. Highlander (all lit up!!!)
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Sadly, the 6v lights on any Minor are no match for the oncoming searchlights on some footballers wife grotesque BMW or Volvo Chelsea Tractor. When I first started using a Minor for everyday transport in 1963, there were still a lot of 6v cars on the roads (upright Pops etc) and things were not too bad. That said, it was only when I started using a 10/4 with 12v twin dipping solenoid headlamps did I realise just how bad 6 volts were !
Simon

Post by Simon »

Halogen bulbs for older cars and LED type bulbs can be obtained from:-

Paul Goff
62 Clare Road
Prestwood
Bucks
HP16 0NU

Tel 01494 868218

norbsa02@aol.com
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi,
One of the problems to our age of car is the out put of the dynamo and modern bulbs and output can lead to a flat battery
and getting the cranking handle out thats if you have one,
I don't have one my self.
I know of someone who fitted sealedbeam units you just grind the protrusions off the glass and they do fit in the 32 minor but better fit a alternator at the same time :lol: