Halfshaft flanges!

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Halfshaft flanges!

Post by Toby »

Hi all, having previously put better hubs on the back of the saloon with new oilseals, I have decided to renew the bearings while doing the brake shoes. (following it so far?!). Previously I made up cork flange gaskets but don't have any more gasket paper so this time I used gasket compound, I can't see any gasket in the parts book but an article on oil seals mentions replacing the gasket on the half shaft. Any one else ever used gasket compound or should I re-do it with paper gasket :?: On the upside, as the bearing was loose in the hub I changed the hub and found how the new hub oilseals were meant to be fitted! :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
cammy

Re: Halfshaft flanges!

Post by cammy »

Hi Toby,
In my MG PA days (1961) I always made up some paper gaskets and also put a smidgen of hermetite, Seemed to work for me.

If oil does leak it makes your brake pads last longer and stops the drums rusting.

ATB
Clive
DF9053

Re: Halfshaft flanges!

Post by DF9053 »

Toby,

There should be a paper gasket between the two sections of the hub, failure of this as Clive said will result in oil/grease on the brake shoes. Again like Clive I use Red gasket sealer. You can get sealed bearings these days which help reduce the amounts of oil moving around but if your bearings are ok these seems an un necessary expense!

Cheers
Jeremy