Derrington Manifolds

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

Derrington Manifolds

Post by Sam Christie »

Some time ago the idea of having some Derrington style manifolds made for M-type/OHC Minors was briefly discussed on the MG Triple-M Forum.

The Derrington manifold was available as a mild special tuning option in the 1930's and used a downdraught SU carburettor. They were said to give better performance and economy and would have appeared on M-types and Minors.

The possible price for a copy of such a manifold was about £250 but so far as I know nobody took up the idea.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of these ?
DF9053

Re: Derrington Manifolds

Post by DF9053 »

Hi Sam,

Wasn't the M type Double Twelve fitted with a down draft SU, this manifold would presumably be quite similar. The McEvoy 70's also had this fitment, Ian will know far more.

There have been serveral Derrington pictures in the VMR mag over the years, and I recall some chap trying to get interest at the Bath summer rally, there weren't many takers.

The big question is how to get fuel from the scuttle tank to the carb when it is up level with the rocker box cover, presumably the M types had a fuel pump fitted when they were in 12/12 form.

Cheers
Jeremy
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

When the Derrington manifold was advertised in the 1930's it included both a downdraught SU and an SU Petrolift to deal with the gravity problem.

I have noticed on eBay that downdraught carburettors do appear from time to time and usually sell for very much less than the standard fittings which may be worth considering against the quoted £250 for the replica manifold.

I understand the downdraught SU is essential on a 12/12 because the branched exhaust goes straight out and there is no room for a normal horizontal SU.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

There is an excellent picture of a 12/12 on the Barry Walker web site shows the carb and manifolds very clearly

Pertolifts are rather difficult these days as I undertand that no one reconditions them any more

Cheers
Jeremy