Bulk head mystery plate

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

g4pyd

Bulk head mystery plate

Post by g4pyd »

Hi All,
I have found another brass plate on my 32 minors bulkhead, It says 34/MS/8

with car number 33891 engine number 34507 am i right in thinking this is a 34 model and where do I look for the engine and chassis plates?.( My car has 34 wings ,rad grill headlamps, and hydraulic brakes all pointing to a 34 model)

the other plate says MM 8 sv18507 and engine number U18937A and this is whats in the log book

Colin] :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Bulk head mystery plate

Post by Ian Grace »

When the LWB SV Minor/Family 8 was introduced for the 1934 season, the chassis numbering was changed slightly, although the numerical sequence was unbroken. So we have, for the 1934 season, 34/MS/XXXXX for SWB chassis and 34/ML/XXXXX for LWB chassis. The engine number should be on the plate and also stamped on the block on the left side, in behind the carb.

So yes, your car is a SWB 1934 season car.

Does that answer all your questions?
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi Ian thanks for your reply,
Looked at engine num and it doesn't match either plate its 18848e with the date 25-5-32 also sv5, (these are embossed in
the casting of the block),
have not as yet found the car number,

so which of these plates is the correct one?,

the reg maches a 32 i think KF 9596,

Confused Colin
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The real chassis number for your car will be stamped (embossed) onto the front offside dumb iron. It may well be obscured by paint but some judicious rubbing with some emery paper will reveal all. As to what is your car's real identity - the DVLA use the chassis frame number (now referred to as the VIN) Lots of unscrupulous owners change or amend these numbers to disguise the vehicles real identity for eventual financial gain! Hence the many orignal Morris Minor chassis frames masquerading as MG M Types.(allegedly!)
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Colin,

KF 9596 was first registered 18/6/32 and therefore matches with the SV18507 plate c- and presumably your V5C? 34/MS/33891 would be a 1934 car and your car certainly looks like a '34!

You really need to check the chassis number on the front dumbiron as Chris suggested. Which plate is actually screwed onto the firewall? Did the other one come loose with the car?
Toby

Post by Toby »

To detect what BODY you have, look at the rear end and compare it to pictures on the vmr web site or my 32 minor (green) or my 34 car ( red) under "my minors" in our cars, (or others on the forum). The 32 body is rounded at rear and tapered with aluminium strips covering the join from top to side, the 34 is not tapered and is only rounded at the top. Trevor has a 34 tourer which is in various pictures on the forum. To aid with chassis identity, the 34 chassis has brackets 2 front, one rear, for the flexi to copper brake pipe join, these should be rivetted onto the chassis. If they are bolted it means they may or may not be original, but if rivetted I'd say it's 99% certain that its a 34. Does it have an opening front screen? (this was also a 34 feature but I have seen one on an older car!) If it is a 32 but with an opening screen and you want the correct one then we could do a very favourable deal on a swap plus cash!!! PS the 34 had 18" wheels and and a 4 speed semi synchromesh gearbox too, obviously these can be changed over the course of 70 plus years especially the gearbox into an earlier car that had a 3 speed crash box. If I can be of any further help with identifying whats what then email me and I can send photos. :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Ian,
both plates are screwed on the bulkhead one above the other,what is a dumbiron? and to Toby thanks for your input,it does have a opening front window also will look on our cars and see if i can notice the difference,

I am in Norfolk at moment and wont be home until this coming Fri so won't be able to check on the brackets you mentioned

thanks to all who helped this lost soul

Colin :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Colin,

The dumbiron is the steel casting which holds the front road spring front pin at the very front of the right-hand chassis rail. That is where you will find the true chassis number of you car.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Colin asked me to upload these photos of his car. To me it looks like a pretty good bitza - much of the car is 1934 - the wings, much of the running gear, handbrake, horn/dip arm, etc. but the body is 1932 - note the square bottom corners on the windscreen. The cylinder head is 1931 - with the detachable water outlet. I guess, since the constructor screwed both chassis plates onto the car, that it was an amalgam of a 1932 and a 1934 car. It is anyone's guess which chassis frame was used, but since the 1932 chassis is quoted on the V5C, let's hope that is correct!
Attachments
b397_12 (Medium).jpg
b397_12 (Medium).jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
b450_12.jpg
b450_12.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
b690_12.jpg
b690_12.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
b75a_12.jpg
b75a_12.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

OK. will chick chassis numb., when I get home fri eve,i thought ian would have put the pics in OURCARS thread but perhaps he still will? :D :D
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Colin,
Despite the mixed pedigree - it looks like a nice car to me. Get it down to the summer rally so that we can have a real good look - it cant be far from you. You will be made most welcome.
Regards,
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

32 cylinder head then? 33 rad, but 34 handbrake plus the control stalk that I've never seen an original of, in one piece! Sorry Colin, you need to disregard my body and windscreen comments as mine are tourers :( I'm not so hot on saloons but they are 34 wings! Maybe best to put it in 32 body spec but keep the handbrake and gearbox, await the chassis No. on dumbiron to solve the mystery :shock: At the end of the day as Chris says it looks good and it's not the first car to be modified to suit someones tastes and make it more usable, personally I think the 32 rad is a beautiful design and the 4 speed is absolute luxury compared to the 3 speeder, my saloon has the 4 speed and it's not as noisy or as hard work as the tourers 3. I note it looks like an alternator on the top of the engine, has it been upgraded to 12 volts? if so you'll have decent illumination too and the ability to fit an alarm, you lucky devil :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Thanks to you all, It is a dynamo on top but it has been converted to 12v allthough the trafficators are 6v that didn't work when i bought the car,I have rewired and madeup a voltage dropper for them and now work fine, Toby,Chris, thanks for your encouraging comments :D I am trying my best to get it back to original but where does one stop, i suppose when you run out of money or when you have had enough, I am getting short of the readies but still keen as H??l so there you go.

the engine has set my plans back but when i get it out and find what the noise really is I will have a better idea of what money I need to throw at it I do wish i had started ealier. :( I will have to sell my 1896 trap which is partly restored.

(anorak moment..) did you know that the board in front of the driver was originally called a dash board cos it stopped mud being thrown up at driver when the horses where dashing and was a convenient place to put instruments when converted to motor driven (anarak moment over) :lol:
keep you in touch with developments

Colin :D
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi , plate is the number which matches the nunber plate and log book?. but is only bolted on so this car could be a 34 with a new bolted on spring carrier,

I dont know what to do now or next.

Col
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Colin, the spring carrier was originally riveted on. If it is still riveted on, the it is most likely that the number on it matches the chassis. if the rivets have been drilled out and replaced by bolts, then it is anyone's guess. Is your dumbiron riveted on? What number is stamped on it?