VMR Summer Rally 2009

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2009

Post by Ian Grace »

Excellent news Ronald.

Here's the entry list as it stands right now:

GG 3949 1931 MG M Type Sportsman's Coupe Roger Burnett and PA friend
DX 8826 1930 Minor saloon Eric Mouser
CV 3487 1930 Minor saloon Colin Lee
MT 3286 1929 Minor tourer Ronald & Heather Hogg
VX 4590 1930 Minor saloon Ken & Kate Martin
GU 1342 1930 Minor Semi-sports (rep.) David & Diana Roscoe
EC 9783 31/33 Jensen Minor Simon Hodgins
YG 2017 1933 Minor saloon Toby Sears
Modern John Penistan
Alvis 12/50 Mike Jones and Motts
Modern Terry Synnott
VF 6700 1929 Minor tourer John Stuberfield
TE 6974 1929 Morris Cowley special Stuart Cooke
UY 1196 Austin 12 Michael Taylor
VJ 2574 1930 Morris Cowley special Peter Williams
Toby

Post by Toby »

Make that '32 Tourer PJ5155! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Will do!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,
Tickets arrived this morning, many thanks. Sorry you cannot be with us. Best wishes to all of you in Seattle.
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Hi Ian
Our tickets also arrived this morning – thanks for them and for going ahead with the organisation of the rally in spite of the stressful problem at home. We hope things get better very soon for you both and will be thinking of you at the weekend.
Best wishes Ken and Kate
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Relieved to hear the tickets are arriving. I have FedExed the rally package over to David Roscoe who has generously offered to anchor things for me.

The nav rally has just six entrants so is a relatively simplified affair but will generally follow the usual pattern. There are three Minors (Lee, Hogg, Hodgins), two Cowley specials and Mike Taylor in his Austin 12. Then there are six scenic tourists (Burnett, Mouser, Martin, Sears, Stubberfield (senior) then Mike Jones and some Australian friends in an Alvis 12/50, so it should be a very pleasant day hopefully. Terry Synnott is also coming along in a modern - his '29 tourer is making great progress - particularly in the coachwork department. He's booked in with his wife for the buffet and Prescott.

One thing I haven't organized is a meeting point at Prescott. Some people will be taking the train trip and arriving around lunchtime, and others will be there earlier in the day, so our cars will be well scattered across the various car parks. So can we arrange a meeting point/time of 1-00 pm under the large oak tree just up from the beer tent? That is, over the bridge from the Orchard, turn right, and then about 50 yards up on the left. Someone should bring a camshaft and wave it in the air for identification! Also, Mike Dowley will be present but not competing - for the first time in years, so if the meeting point works, I'll invite him along so you can all meet him. Remember that he has once again sponsored the weekend.

Cheques have gone to the Plough for cream teas, to the Gardeners Arms for the Saturday night buffet and to the GWR for the steam run on Sunday morning. David Roscoe has the Prescott tickets, so I think everything is in place now.

What I will need is TONS and TONS of PHOTOGRAPHS!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Well done Ian, our tickets arrived too! I hate to keep correcting you, but... we're in the nav rally too! :shock:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You're right of course, I was looking at an old list before you switched. My latest list is in the office and I'm at home today.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Update Wednesday at noon.

The package containing the rally paperwork is on its way to David Roscoe by FedEx. However, it got held up in customs at Stanstead and wasn't cleared customs until 2-30 this morning. It is currently in the FedEx Exeter office and guaranteed for delivcery to David by close of business tomorrow - Thursday - three days after the 'guaranteed' delivery date!

However, David and Diana are leaving home tomorrow morning at 11 a.m., so we will try to contact the Exeter office in the morning to see if they can give a more accurate delivery time.

As a backup, I have just e-mailed all the necessary paperwork across to David so that he can print off copies directly.

There are three entrants for the Roy Hogg Trophy - Lee, Hodgins and Sears, so you each have a 1 in 3 chance of taking the trophy home! If any other Minorists want to change their mind and enter - let me know ASAP!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

David now has all the e-mailed files and has printed them off. We've run through the weekend over the 'phone in fine detail and sorted everything except the weather. From tomorrow evening he will be resident at Rally HQ - The Plough, Ford.

Has anyone een a forecast for the weekend?
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

There are three entrants for the Roy Hogg Trophy - Lee, Hodgins and Sears, so you each have a 1 in 3 chance of taking the trophy home! If any other Minorists want to change their mind and enter - let me know ASAP!

three...... did i not say to put me in the nav rally....??? as opposed to the tour..........

mind you, the weather looks not great for the weekend at the moment, and it's a long way to drive to be in the wet all day....... we're waiting til friday to make the final decision...!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

OK - four then! The more the merrier!

Regarding the weather, temperature right here in Redmond right now (2 p.m.) is 104.6 degrees! Yup, a hundred and four point six! Smashing all records for the Pacific Northwest. And NO air conditioning. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Edited - now up to 105.1 and climbing ...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mind you, if it is wet on Sunday, Prescott will be all the more interesting! :o
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ian, we are suffering from what the met office termed a BBQ summer, ie wet! Do you need me to bring the vmr posters with me for the rally? Only have the paper ones in a tube.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sure - bring the posters - they might come in handy somewhere.

Just checked the weather with the Met Office - looks like rain clearing Saturday and fine Sunday. Probably better to ghave it fine on Sunday for Prescott - I've done plenty of nav rallies in torrential rain, but Prescott is miserable when its really wet.