Drop arms on on M types

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ian judd

Drop arms on on M types

Post by ian judd »

Ian , the drop arm on the M is very similar to the Minor but it's a much tighter 'S' shape, so it ends up higher and further back. You are right about the track rod - all the photos I have seen show the track rod underneath the steering arms. I have mine on top because I always think it looks a bit exposed underneath.
I don't know if the Morris 8 drop arm is the same as the Minor Bishops cam one, but I have one to give away if its any good to anyone. I think its 1934.
Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Drop arms on on M types

Post by Ian Grace »

Ian,

I am interested in this. The OHC Minor arm is as you describe - a tight s-shape, while the Bishop cam arm is longer and straighter. I have always assumed that the M and OHC Minor worm and wheel drop arms are identical. Is this definitely not the case? I think the Bishop cam arm is the same as the 8.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Is there a difference between OHC worm and wheel steering box drop arms and the arms on SV worm and wheel boxes? I have been comparing M with the SV version, but then I have always assumed SV and OHC were the same. It sounds from your recent Mac experience as though you can get away with a longer arm if you drop the track to below the steering arms. I will dig one of each out and photograph them.
On a related subject - does anyone know if the splines in the arms can be repaired?

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ian,

I'll check part numbers in the relevant parts lists for OHC and SV and post them here. I have always assumed that the OHC and SV worm and wheel parts are identical, and that the only difference with the M was 5 1/4" longer column, perhaps the under/over orientation of the drag/track link ends on the arms - and the Brooklands wheel, of course.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian's

From the Morris Register information manual Worm & Wheel steering box fitted to all OHC minors and SV minors to chassis number 2030o the part number of the steering lever is 35179.

For Bishop Cam steering box for SV minors from chassis number 20301 the part number of the steering lever is 37493.

I presume that LWB follow the above. I do not have any MG part numbers but will dig out early Hornet ones if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Simon on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Simon, I didn't have time to look them up, last night! Can you correct your 2030 typo?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This picture just in from Ian Judd tonight, with the following comments:

"Here is the photo of the arms I have. The left one is Morris 8 with a tapered hole for the ball. Next is SV Minor, then the M type. I don't know what OHC Minors had. I can't work out if having a shorter arm results in a lower geared steering, or if with the longer one you get better steering lock, or both.

While I was finding these I came across a couple of spring shackles and noticed that one (presumably later) was made of thicker metal. I will measure them when I have given them a clean."

The middle drop arm is Minor worm and wheel - both SV and OHC. The M8 one on the left looks similar to the SV Minor Bishop cam drop arm, but I don't think the SV Minor TRE balls were tapered? The M arm on the right is new to me and is clearly a 'bent' Minor worm and wheel arm. Did all M Types have bent arms like this?

Ian, given the same gearing in the steering box, the longer arm will give higher-geared steering.
Attachments
P1060035.jpg
P1060035.jpg (192.31 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,
The ball on the end of the steering lever is the same for all Minors except the very early ones up to M3085 and is part number 35952 and is not tapered.

If you look carefully and the photographs, in particular the ball end you will see that the M type is a different forging and not simply a bent Minor one. A check of the numbers on the two types will verify this.

Correction has been made.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

The part number on the Minor drop-arm is 174821C, which is different to the number Simon has found. The number on the Midget drop-arm is 185782A.

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian J

That is to be expected. The part numbers I quoted are the spare parts number, the numbers on the actual steering arms are manufacturers forging numbers and could well vary depending upon who made them. All we need now is a picture of the Bishop Cam box steering arm!!