Front springs

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

Re: Front springs

Post by halbe »

the next time i place an ad I'll put it in the technical bit :)
Funny how a simple question changes into a technical topic.
Thank you all for your advice

Halbe
mdawkins

Post by mdawkins »

Halbe

As a result of Ian's enquiry on my behalf I find that your query dated 4 June re the spring dimensions is exactly the same information as I am seeking. Have you had any concrete reply to this or are we still guessing?

I do have some info which may be a guide. That is that the height of a vehicle (Chris Rumble's) from the ground to the front grease nipple is 14 1/4" - mine is currently 13" and is as hard as a rock. When jacked up to 14 1/4 it looks about right and the shackle is still sitting with about 5 to 10 Deg lean - just enough I would think. Mine also currently has 7 leaves whereas Chris's has 6. I wonder what the correct number is?

Fortunately we don't appear to have any problems getting someone to reset the old springs if we can get the correct dimensions.

Max Dawkins
Max Dawkins
29 Cammy Buckboard
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Max,

I have 6 leaves on my front springs.
For now they look o.k. but I'll have to wait to see what they are like when my car is on the road.
I can remember reading that the 7 leave springs where made for the van's but you'll have to ask someone about this who ownes one.
Chris Lambert has had his springs done and is happy with the result , try contacting him if you need that info.

Here is a little drawing I made of my front springs

The distance between the eyes is for an unloaded spring
If you also need the PH ( see the other drawing) just let me know.

Regards,

Halbe Tjepkema
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have just come from a very, very cold run across the downs to Headley. Minor still in the drive so I have just measured from the ground to the front spring nipple. Mine is twelve and a half inches and looks ok. Remember mine is a sv two seater. Highlander.