32 2-seater for sale - was on eBay

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

32 2-seater for sale - was on eBay

Post by Ian Grace »

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/30945

This one was being offered by Tony Downing on eBay in February. It went to GBP 4,340 - reserve not met, but it did sell - to a chap called Marcello in Bournemouth who said he wanted to keep it...

Now it is being offered for a whopping GBP 9,995, which is far more than Tony sold it for.

One good thing - the number plate is still intact.

Tony also had a saloon and a 5 cwt van - all now sold because he is 6' 5" and has arthritis so cannot drive them any more. Tony (Gamble), I believe you know Tony Downing?
Tony Gamble

Re: 32 2-seater for sale - was on eBay

Post by Tony Gamble »

Yes , I know Tony - he's had many a spare part from me !

He was always wanting my van too ! But you say he's parting with all his cars now ?

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, that's right - all gone now. I have sent him the SV page from the master chassis register and asked him if he can fill in the blanks on his 2-seater, van and saloon.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

This is a very good looking car and I had thought of buying it for one of my daughters but I cannot work e.bay. Any idea what Tony sold it for? £5,000 would have been a fair price, but nearly £10000 is just plain daft - where do they pluck these prices from? Do they think the number is worth £5000 and add it on? In my mind the number shoulod not come into it at all - same with spending £7000 on resturation, it does not make a £5000 car worth£12000. Is everyone on holiday - not much news! Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Alister,

I think eveyone is asleep - so I'll whisper!

Tony didn't tell me what he sold it for, but about 5k seems about right. I have come across a couple of owners who have tried to add their perceived value of their Minors' number plates to their cars - without conspicuous success. And I have also come across many who simply total up the purchase and restoration costs. If I did that with my Semi-sports, I'd probably arrive at somewhere around GBP 15,000 - but don't tell the wife. I have even come across some who advertise that their car is one of only three or four known to exist - when the figure is more like 3 or 4 hundred.

The sad thing about this sale is that the purchaser convinced Tony that he wanted to car to keep, and he did turn down other offers from people who might have been much more genuine but less well-heeled enthusiasts. Then the new owner immediately put it on the market for probably double the price! Tony did get the new owner to agree NOT to strip the number off the car, and a check of DVLA yesterday confirmed that the number is still intact.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have just had another look at the 1934 two seater in carandclassic. This has bills for £7000 and still not finished!! What I can never understand is spending all that money on a humble car and then getting it all wrong. The leather seats (never leather in the first place) are wrong and the rear seat is far too thick and no wooden trim arround the doors and so it goes on. It is just as easy to get thinks right than to get them wrong. I too agree that the later cars lost something in looks - just compare this car with the 1932 one. Sleep tight, I am off dancing!!! Highlander.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Ian
I note that you made a check with DVLA about this cars reg number.
Exactly how did you go about doing that??
Tony Margel