Front road springs

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Front road springs

Post by Ian Grace »

Does anyone have a spare pair of front road springs? We have a potential new member in need.

Thanks in advance.
Simon

Re: Front road springs

Post by Simon »

Ian,
I am doing some research on Minor front springs as I believe that they are not identical to M type. Do you you have a full specificaton for them. I need a set for one of my Minors.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Simon,

That's right. Rear springs are identical to M, but not the front springs which are flatter on the M. New rears can be obtained from Mike Dowley. The question of specs. has come up before. The M spring specs are in Blower, but I have never seen specs. for Minor front springs.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

I have a pair of supposedly "new" front Minor springs which I bought from a recent auction.

Although they are not for sale I could measure them up and see what the overall dimensions are ?

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tony,

That would be a big help. We could then use the M spring rates and your dimensions to create a complete specification.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Is it also possible to put the specification on the site ?
I would also like to check my springs.

Halbe
1936morriseight

Post by 1936morriseight »

Simon,

You probably know this already, but an old commercial spares catalogue lists all minor springs, (bar 1929 - 31 fronts) as being 1·25" wide x 5 leaves + 2 rebound leaves. It suggests that 1932 - 34 fronts are all the same spec and part nos; 1930 - 31 rears are same spec & part nos; 1932 - 33 rears are same spec & part nos; 1934 rears spec & part nos. are not shared by any other years. Strangely it lists 1929 - 31 front springs but not 1929 rears - fronts are 1·25" wide x 4 leaves + 2 rebounds.

Jeff
1936morriseight
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the Blower reference for M springs, giving dimensions, unloaded curvatures and spring rates. I'd be interested if anyone has ever seen info. like this for Minor springs.
Attachments
Springs.JPG
Springs.JPG (419.99 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tony,
When you do your measurements can you please measure the thickness of each leaf. There could be a problem having new springs made as I have been told that 3/16 inch spring steel is not available.

I have found out from some other Bullnose Morris literature what the load to make the front springs flat should be but not the unloaded curvature is. I will have to dig out my strength of materials notes !!!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Halbe

As you seem to have an original (unmolested) car could you please measure up one of your front springs including the thickness of each leaf. Also what spark plugs have you got fitted and what is the length of the thread (reach).
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It is easy to identify original Morris road springs from later replacement ones. The Morris spring leaves had oval ends, while the leaves of replacement springs had squared of ends.

Morris/MG folklore has it that the only difference between Morris and MG front springs was that the latter were flattened slightly to lower the car, which is why MG front springs don't have rubber buffers fitted, because they would be too close to the chassis rail. However, the loaded main spring length must be the same on both (which means that the actual length must be different) because the shackle angle has to be the same.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ian,

Could you post a picture to show me the differences between the two springs?

Simon,

I'll take the measurements tonight .
My car had the KLG Corundite M50 plugs fitted ,they have a 1/2 inch reach

Halbe
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Here are pictures of my "new" Minor springs. I will measure them up this evening.

Shucks! I must remember to reduce their file size !!!

Put them in soon.

Tony G
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Try again !
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Mmmmm ! How about these !!
Minorspring1.JPG
Minorspring1.JPG (35.44 KiB) Viewed 1348 times