Front road springs

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Tony Gamble

Re: Front road springs

Post by Tony Gamble »

On these springs there are 7 leaf's between the clamp plates. I reckon that 6 of them are 3/16 inch and the main one
is 7/32 inch.

The distance centre to centre of shackle pin eyes is 26 inches.

I have noticed , however , that the ends of each leaf are square ! Which , I believe may not be as original Morris , so perhaps these "new" springs are replacements. Still , they should have the correct spec. !

I will give a few additional measurements later.

Tony G
halbe

Post by halbe »

I have the same measurements as tony.
I also have the same "original replacement front springs" with the square edges.
My rear springs are the original Morris 'rounded edge' springs,the difference is clear when you see it.

Halbe
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think all Minor springs have flat non-tapered ends to the leaves, the Eights had tapered ends. Source Roger Bird. Have a look at illustration F in the minor parts book.

Halbe, Thanks for the details of your plugs.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Here are two pictures of my springs
Is the front one a replacement and the rear one the original?

Front

Rear

Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Plate F first appeared in the 1929 Spare Parts List which was printed in late 1928 (in portrait format), and was then intermittently used in subsequent parts lists throughout the Minor’s production lifecycle. As such, it only tells us that very early – or even prototype cars met this spec. The prototypes were hand-assembled in Coventry. Having owned 28 OHC and SV Minors over the past 30 years, and stripped dozens of springs, my experience is that original Morris springs on production cars were oval-ended (and stamped 'Morris' on the leaves), while replacements were square-ended and were unstamped.

Indeed there are numerous other anomalies in these plates, and in handbook photos and Alec Houlberg's technical drawings which were not always updated to meet the new production year's spec. So take them all with a large pinch of salt.

In the words of Blake, he ever must believe a lie who sees with, not through, the eye. Modern media is the greatest apparatus for seeing with the eye ever invented by man!
halbe

Post by halbe »

So , maybe it's time to post a picture of the original springs?

I like Disney, not to many words,lot's of pictures

Halbe
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

The front springs taken off my '34 SV were oval ended and stamped with the makers name and dated January 1934, my car being first registered in Feb. '34
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

Unfortunately my springs are on the car - in a warehouse somewhere near London! Actually, the front springs on my Semi-sports are not only not oval ended, but I don't think they are even Minor springs - they have a leaf arrangement I have never seen before!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Ian,

No problem,but maybe there is someone out there who could post a picture for an ignorant Dutch enthusiast :?

Halbe
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tony,

If your front springs have seven leaves then if they are Minor springs they will be for the Van. The shackle pin holes should be 0.5 inch diameter - 0 or + a few thou which should indicate if they are unused.