Fabric covering of 1929 instrument boards

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Fabric covering of 1929 instrument boards

Post by Ian Grace »

The early cars had fabric covering on the instrument boards - blue or brown to match the coachwork and trim. I believe that the fabric used on the boards, as well as the interior panels and seats had a characteristic dark grain in it and was more shiny - unlike the modern offerings from Woolies, etc. And it was thinner. However, there is a whole different world of manufacturers and suppliers here in the USA and I would like to see if anything more like the original is available here. Does anyone have an original sample I might be able show my trimmer over here?

Thanks in advance.
cammy

Re: Fabric covering of 1929 instrument boards

Post by cammy »

Greetings Ian. NG has a fabric covered dash but some handy man has hacked a couple of glove compartments in it and also screwed a couple of those old ceramic domestic light switches on plus an ashtray so I am making a new dash board. I will therefore send you a piece of the fabric covering, 4inchesx2 inches if that would help..
The underside looks as though it may well have been blue but I think the aforesaid handy man may have applied a coat of something to the top side. It may serve as a clue if not a sample. Will send by airmail in the next couple of days.

Although why I should think this might be genuine when nothing else on NG seems to be I know not.
Clive
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Fabric covering of 1929 instrument boards

Post by Ian Grace »

Clive,

Many thanks. I'll let you know the result of my researches. I think that Eric Mouser spent some time researching this also. I'll make e-mail contact with him.