1932/33 Saloon on eBay ends 18th May

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

1932/33 Saloon on eBay ends 18th May

Post by chris lambert »

This is well worth looking at. The car is subject to a NO RESERVE auction and so will currently sell for £1.50!! There is some damage to the bellhousing and hand brake. There are masses of pictures that show that the car is basically sound. Spare three speed box with the car. Anybody got some spare space and I suspect not a lot of spare cash! To use the venacular "Have a punt"!! Find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1932-Morris-Minor ... dZViewItem

Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1932/33 Saloon on eBay ends 18th May

Post by Ian Grace »

Loads of potential here. I have e-mailed asking for the chassis number (no surprise there!).
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

This is an excellent example of why it is most unwise to use a suspended tow on a vehicle with fabric couplings! I bet he towed it at around 50 mph at which speed most minors so equiped are shaking themselves to bits. It could have been much worse though and a flailing propshaft could have hacked the car in two!
I supose he could have removed the propshaft first, its onlt six bolts and three of them you can do from the comfort of the passenger seat! Then it would have been OK to tow! This also removes the worry of the car dropping in to gear when being towed, something else I have heard can happen, just imagine a Minor dropping in to 1st at 50mph :cry:
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the fascinating answer I got from the owner:

"Hi Ian,

Damn! I didn't know there was a club for vintage Minors. I thought there was only the Morris Register; but that would explain why the Register has so few Minor spares. I'm surprised the spares secretary did not tell me about the Vintage Minor Club though.

I'm too embarrassed to tell you the chassis number, as I sold the reg on this one to recoup my losses after disaster struck (it was GW 1193).

But here it is so you can keep club records up to date

chassis number 11683

engine number 12145

I really wanted to get it on the road and use it but i could not find bell-housings anywhere, nor complete engine and box.

Ebay vultures are already nibbling at its no reserve auction :) so it's too late now to find the parts through your club and put it on the road myself.

But I'm sure someone somewhere will rescue it and get it back on the road for the summer.

All the best,

Colin"

This raises all sorts of potential topics, but first of all, can anyone advise how he can back out of this sale and keep the car?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We're getting together on the 'phone. Watch this space.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Had a long chat with the owner. He is going to see how the auction goes and amend his posting to point punters to the VMR and I told him I have a spare SV engine and gearbox in Colnbrook if needed. He is a web designer and is going to build us a billboard based on blog technology which will give us a much higher profile with the web crawlers, etc. He Googled all sorts of things looking for a club but still didn't find us. He also told me that he knows a cycle club which puts its magazines on eBay simply to advertise the club, as he trawled eBay looking for Minor bits and club references too - without success. Apparently this is a very good way to advertise. We could make sure that there was always a set of Mags or CD's or something out there, and it may even make a bit of pin money for the Register at the same time!

Hopefully, he will decide/find a way to retain the car and become a member.