Wanted front wings /radiator

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

g4pyd

Wanted front wings /radiator

Post by g4pyd »

Hi All, first must say what fantastic pages these are and i wish I had found them earlier,
:D
I am after a pair of front wings for my 1932 two door saloon, also a radiator for same, can collect and pay cash,

hope some one can help

regards to you all Colin
chris lambert

Re: Wanted front wings /radiator

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Colin,
I can't personally help with either of your 'wants' but welcome to our forum - normally a very friendly and informative place to visit. Look forward to seeing more of your posts!
Chris
Simon

Post by Simon »

Please do not forget that OHC and SV radiators are different. The water inlets and outlets are in different places and I think from memory that from 32 on the radiator shells are wider at the top than the bottom. Which radiator are you looking for.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Also, the early wings are subtly different. The 1929 and 1930 wings have a shallower side 'skirt'. Otherwise, they are completely interchangeable - as far as I know!
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

[b]thanks for all who replied, my minor is a SV engine and it has the 1933 radiator on it at the moment,I have been offered a 1930ish rad but I believe the top is a slightly different shape?
so may not be suitable .
I have 1934 front wings fitted at the moment,
but thing just get worse I started her yesterday and found a deep knocking so may have a big end gone,
I really love my little car but find when i do one job another 3 seem to appear ,
my engine no is 18937.
chassis no--18507
reg 18-06-1932
regards to all Colin[/
b]
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi Simon, the radiator I am looking for is the D66 as in the (minor information catalogue,)
Unless the D65 can be modified?

cheers

Colin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Colin,

The '32, '33 and '34 season radiator cores are all the same - they have a fillet on the side to give the core a slight curve. The '33 shell is the same as the '34, but the '34 simply has a different mesh added - the shell itself is the same.

Sorry to hear about the knocking. Maybe it isn't a big end gone? What were you doing with it at the time? They usually go when being driven, not just started up, unless it has been standing for a very long time? What is the oil pressure looking like? I'd expect that to be very low or have have dropped to a low value if a big end really has gone.
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi Ian,
the oil pressure isjust under 100 but drops off toabout 60 when warmed up,
yes i think your right about the cores for the radiator perhaps its just the shell I need?

colin
Simon

Post by Simon »

Colin

If your engine has not been run for a long time the oilways in the crankshaft may have become blocked and starved the big ends of oil and caused a big end to fail and knock. Have you tried to find where the knocking is coming from by using a metal bar by putting one end in you ear and moving the other end along the bottom of the block - CAUTION keep the bar well away from the plugs and plug leads. The D65 radiator is for the very early SV minors - if you fit one the bonnet will not fit properly. I have that problem with my Jensen Minor which is fitted with an OHC engine and OHC radiator.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Colin,

With that sort of oil pressure, I'd say your big ends are fine. Most of us just dream about 60 psi hot. :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,

I think you have missed my point. If the oilways in the crank are blocked or if the front main bearing has rotated and blocked off the oil feed, which has been known to happen, then the oil pressure will be good as the oil has nowhere to go as the camshaft is splash fed.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You are right - this is a SV engine, and the front sleeve can rotate if the retaining grub screw comes loose. I was thinking OHC! You oilway point is also valid, but I have never experienced this particular misfortune. It still may not be a big end, though. I guess I'm a glass half fully kinda guy!
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi,

i think it may be a blocked oilway, I have been reading other threads on this forum and it all points to this conclusion? (dirty sediment in sump)

When i return from my holidays on the 29 may will have to get down and under and remove sump and take a serious look,

My next problem is where do I purchase replacement bearings when I know what size, and do I need to scrape ect.,

sorry to have to ask these basic questions but I am a Very newbie to the art of maintaining old ladies

rgards Colin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Colin,

On the SV engine, the four big ends and front main bearing are all white metal - the rear main is a roller bearing which you can buy. The white metal bearings will need to be replaced by one of not too many companies who can still do this. It involves pouring molten white metal into moulds surrounding the rods and front bearing sleeve, so you will have to take your crank, front main bearing sleeve and rods to them. They will almost certainly regrind your crank first - to make sure the bearing surfaces are perfectly smooth and round. If you have had oil sludge problems, it is also a very good idea to have them take the plugs out of the crank and clean out the internal oil ways. Mike Dowley at Sports & Vintage (01939/210458 - please mention the VMR, as he sponsors the Register) has new plugs (set of four), which you will probably need as the originals get slightly mangled when they get removed. Once the metaling and scraping is all done, then you would be well advised to have the whole lot dynamically balanced, and this should include everything that revolves - so this means the front pulley/starter dog, flywheel and clutch, so it would be a good idea to rebuild the clutch at the same time. Again, Mike has all the parts, and the clutch couldn't be simpler to rebuild. The only slightly tricky part is riveting on the new linings - you may need to take the clutch to a workshop or brake shop or someone who has rivet snaps to do the job properly.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hi colin, welcome to the wonderful world of minors! I believe you can get the big ends converted to shells but unless you're going to do a lot of mileage it's probably not economical to do so. Have you found your rad and wings yet? The 32 rad shell is not an easy thing to find but i have seen them occassionally at Beaulieu autojumbles. If you're still looking I may be able to help you! :D themings@yahoo.co.uk
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear