Another family 8 on ebay

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Another family 8 on ebay

Post by ashford »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1932-4-dr-MORRIS- ... dZViewItem

This one appears to have had a makeover in the 50's / 6o's and now has the spotlamps, postwar bumpers and sadly a postwar engine. (which probably means the gearbox is also wrong) Im not sure the seller realises this; price is perhaps a bit steep.
prharris25

Re: Another family 8 on ebay

Post by prharris25 »

What a sad little car. Price is about three times what it is worth in its present state. The missing parts are, of course, the most difficult to find. Lamps should be easy, engine / gearbox possible....but where the heck do you find the correct twin bladed bumpers. Is it my eyes, or do the wheels look too small ? Possibly 1934 18" ??? This really should be saved, the body looks delighfully original .....it's the silly price and the missing items which are preventing me from hitching up the trailer to the Land Rover !!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Looks as if it could be fitted with a Standard 8 or 10 hp (Triumph Herald) engine, the colour is right. It is not a post war BMC engine.
Perhaps someone will ask the seller and also for the original chassis and engine number. It is too far for me to go and have a look.
ashford

Post by ashford »

I asked the seller if they had by any chance the original engine and gearbox. He admits to not being an expert but believes that the car is all original. The danger is that some one new to minors will bid thinking they are getting an original pre war car and will later find out exacty what they've bought.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike Tebbett alerted me to this car over the weekend. I e-mailed the owner asking for the chassis number and diplomatically letting him know that the engine was not original and that his starting price is "a litle high".
Toby

Post by Toby »

Didn't like to post my thoughts!!! Poor thing, don't know about wrong wheel size, in that colour it's hard to tell if they're actually the right hubs! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Got a reply to my query:

hi ian

i have clarified this with a few others that the ohc engine was fitted to the 35 morris eight series one

what you are loooking at is a 32 morris minor eight it was fitted with a ohv or a sv engine the car has only done about 30k so i doubt it would have used a engine and gearbox in that time period as you feel the asking price is a bit high then there is no point in giving out the chassis number sorry

hope this helps

Paul

Anybody care to tell me what he is trying to say? :roll:
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Ian, what he's trying to tell you is that it's all original, which 'we' know it's not...LOL!!

I've asked him what the engine and gearbox are from, as i have 40yrs of minor knowledge....... and also the voltage, and no of gears, and where reverse is....... if enough of us ask him questions he might get the idea that he's actually wrong!!!

We don;t want someon thinking that is IS origianl now do we..>!!
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Just look at the seller's ID !!! Does that not speak for itself !!!!!

Tony G

:roll:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

His feedback score is also impressive at Zero! I reckon that the DeLux script on the radiator is from a 50's Hillman.
Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

JUst done some research.,..... it's a Reliant Robin engine....!!!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

So it's a Reliant/Hillman Minor 8 Deluxe, a rare beast indeed, especially with only 30k genuine miles on it :lol: It makes me so angry, we should offer counselling to the poor unfortunates who end up with these beasts
Toby

Post by Toby »

Oh, and by the way, never mind the sellers id, i thought the whole tone of the advert was a bit aggressive!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have just returned from my Scottish Dancing class and I have been thinking all evening about this advert. I know nothing about e.bay and only see it because you kindly print something I can click onto. I have seen the advert, I have read all your comments - I think we are experts and know something is wrong - does the Trades Discription Act not come into this? Can we not alert e.bay they are selling something that is not what it says? The seller is a pratt but I feel sorry for whoever buys the de-lux, low mileage, original Morris Minor (8). On another matter, my two minor pals, who are not members, are quite happy not joining us. One is with the old Morris Register and the other is in nothing, but he is the best engineer I have ever known and his Minor ( e.bay last year with an MU number) will be the finest minor ever. I did try and enroll them but without success. I won my golf matches in Paris, Bon Soir, Highlander.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

It would seem that Mr Buckin Fonkers has answered us with his new preamble !!!

Tony G

:roll: